2

Word Count: 2363

~Onyx

My footsteps are near silent as I stride through the corridor.

"Where do you think you're going?"

I halt, grimacing before turning. My mother emerges from her office, dark brows raised expectantly.

We are almost the same person, sharing many similar qualities. Unfortunately for the both of us, I'm not just talking about our physical similarities.

"Nowhere mother, I was coming to speak to you," I lie. I had done such a good job avoiding her today.

"Mmm, I thought so." She crosses her arms, tapping her fingers against her biceps. "Did you look over those profiles Sienna was meant to bring you?"

"Strangely enough, Sienna was walking into my room, tripped, and sent every profile into the fire." I smile, patting her shoulder.

She brushes me off, rolling her eyes. "Onyx."

I sigh at her exasperated tone. Her and Sienna act like the Pack is about to dissolve without a meaningless union.

"I read them," I affirm. "And I'm not interested."

Her angular face refuses to shift in expression as she remains unsurprised. "And why not?"

"They aren't what I'm looking for."

"They are women of noble birth. Or they are filthy rich. What more could you want?" She steps forward, the top of her head barely reaching my chin. She brushes at an invisible piece of lint on my shoulder.

"I don't know."

I'm not lying to her for sport. I genuinely do not know what I'm looking for. Just not...them.

Her expression softens as she cups my cheek tenderly.

"I think I do," she murmurs. "You want love, my dear boy."

"I couldn't care less about love." Her hand falls away as I shake my head. The hard, pointed look she gives me tells me she doesn't believe me.

Alpha's don't marry for love. I've been raised to believe that, even though my parents were the exception. My father, before he died, told me never, as an Alpha, to believe love, outside of blood, to be genuine.

I've always believed that. Until I met Sienna.

"This Pack needs a Luna. Other Packs are sensing weakness here," mother insists, worry burying between her furrowed brows.

"I'm the strongest Alpha-"

"Perhaps, but without a Luna, doubts will spread. Your people are anxious for an heir. The last thing you want is for them to think something is wrong with you."

I rub a hand over my eyes, sighing.

I would do anything for my people. I've already sacrificed so much for them. This aspect of the job is the most difficult to perform, I'm finding.

"Maybe there is."

Mother's gaze considers me. "If you don't make an effort to find a wife, I will bring these women here and make you pick. Understand?"

I let my silence and long, cold stare tell her how ridiculous that sounds.

I understand that I have a duty I must adhere to. I have pressing obligations. All I want is more time. Weeks, months, maybe even years.

"You can't bring them here," I tell her calmly.

"Why not?"

"I'm not going to fall in love with one of them just because they are in my proximity," I insist, steadying my breathing.