13

Word Count: 1828

~Onyx

This is a big fucking mistake.

Sienna is going to kill me when she finds out. Unfortunately, I've spent the entire day considering doing otherwise to this, and yet I'm still here, standing before Kayn's door.

I knock twice, firmly.

His door swings open, his eyes widening at the sight of me.

"Alpha."

"May I come in?"

"I was just about to..." He stumbles back as I brush past him, taking in the room I now stand in. He clears his throat. "Okay then. Is something wrong?"

He's done absolutely nothing to this guest room. His suitcase is half open at the foot of his bed. He's clearly endeavouring to leave as soon as possible.

With my friend, no less.

"Close the door," I prompt.

He physically gulps, taking a painful amount of time to follow my simple instruction.

"I want to talk to you about Sienna." I turn to look at him.

He ruffles a hand through his hair. "Fuck."

I've seen many men cower in my presence, and this man looks unbelievably small suddenly. I'm certain Sienna spilled the details of our arrangement to him so something romantic could flourish, and yet he still appears as though I'm about to snap his neck.

Tempting, but not today.

"I'm not going to punish you." I can't help the quirk of my lips at his helplessness. "I implore you to speak freely."

"Are you going to disembowel me?" He shifts a step away from me as if there is anywhere in this world he could run to if I wanted him dead.

I shrug, sliding my hands into my pockets. "Perhaps."

"Is this because of the whole mistress thing? Because she told me it's just a title." He rubs the back of his neck, which is stained bright red.

"Are you planning on fucking her tonight?" I ask.

I'm not here for pleasantries. Preferably, this conversation wouldn't be happening, but Sienna is my friend, and I care for her. I need to make sure this man is worthy of her time.

Even if I'm inclined to doubt anyone will meet such a high threshold.

"Huh? Ah...no," he stammers.

"Be truthful."

"I am. We are just having dinner," he insists, a little too quickly.

I just stare at him until, after a few moments, he crumbles under the pressure. "But if she wanted me, I wouldn't say no."

I assumed as much. I'm not certain there's a straight man around who wouldn't fall to their knees and beg for just a taste of Sienna.

"So you like her a lot?"

"She's attractive and interesting. I like her." He takes yet another step back.

If I allow him, he's going to pursue her seriously. I wonder if she would be joyful at such a surety or if she has doubts about him. They hardly know each other yet, but he seems pretty certain he wants her.

"Do you plan to leave here with her in the future?"

He blinks rapidly. "No!"

"Try again."