33

Word Count: 1962

~Onyx

"So, how are you enjoying my daughter?"

My hand tightens on my tumbler as I take a long, purposeful sip of my drink. Apparently, ageing alcohol like this is supposed to make it taste better, and yet I'm left with a repulsive taste in my mouth.

Or perhaps that's because of who is sitting in front of me.

"We are doing just fine," I bite out.

Violet's father, Joseph, arrived this morning. Apparently, he didn't get enough time to irritate me my entire childhood, so he's here now, three months after the wedding to do his due diligence.

"It's a shame she isn't yet pregnant. The Pack is eagerly awaiting their heir," he proclaims from the other side of the table.

My stomach churns at the way he feasts on the canapés my mother's assistant brought us. Apparently, when he was my father's political advisor, they would have meetings in this old dusty room together.

"They will get one. In time," I respond calmly.

"Asking people to wait for their contingency is a dangerous game, Alpha," he notes, pointing a grubby finger at me.

"I understand you were once my father's advisor, Mr Winter, however, you are not mine," I say sternly.

He used to scare me when I was younger. He and my father were a formidable pair, and I swear Mr Winter was the one behind all my punishments.

I once heard him tell my father that scolding me so viciously, occasionally hitting me, was going to make me a stronger Alpha.

The man laughs roughly. "Things would be a lot different if I were."

Considering my father lost considerable territory - that I had to fight to get back - under his advisement, I would say I'm doing better off.

"This Pack is doing better than it ever has. Under my father's reign, we lost territory. Under mine, we have gained, and we have strengthened on all fronts. Security, Pack relations and unification," I tell him. "I did that."

"And yet no heir. No heir means everything you have worked for means nothing." He stretches his arms out, smiling like my downfall pleases him.

"We are...working on it," I say uncomfortably.

I really don't want to be talking about the lack of sex going on between myself and his daughter...

"The wedding was three months ago. Three," he reminds me. "My wife and I had Violet's brother within weeks."

I sigh through my nose. I doubt the poor woman wanted it, and unlike him, I'm not going to force Violet into doing something she doesn't want to.

I shrug. "It is out of my hands."

"An impotent Alpha. How tragic." He laughs again before shoving a cracker with cheese and herbs on it into his mouth.

My jaw hardens.

"You have no right to speak on what you don't know."

"If this is about love, I would advise putting such ridiculous notions to the side." He waves his hand about. "If you must, envisage that whore of a mistress you had and get the job done."

Something in me snaps.

I stand slowly, never releasing Joseph from my stare. He has the decency to look frightened for a moment, realising he spoke out of turn one too many times.

No one mentions Sienna like that. No one disrespects my wife, either.

My fingertips drag against the polished surface of the table as I round it. Burning irritation throbs in my chest, built up after all these months.