39

Hello everyone, I just want to let you know I have a brand new 18+ werewolf romance out now on Wattpad (: I'm so excited about it, and I hope you'll check it out!

A God Amongst Wolves

Word Count: 2494

~Onyx

I sift through my cards, cursing under my breath.

I'm winning this game of cards against Sienna, but barely. She lounges in the hay, waving her hand in front of her face.

I'm surprised I'm capable of concentrating right now, let alone winning.

Sienna wears tiny, impractical shorts that show off her smooth legs. Her shirt is bunched up a touch, revealing a sliver of her stomach that has me going almost feral.

"You alright?" I ask her tightly as she takes her time flicking through her cards.

"It's unseasonably hot. I don't understand how I'm supposed to function," she groans, huffing out a sigh.

His heat wave is uncharacteristic, and it won't last. We're used to cool weather here, so baking in this warmth is borderline insufferable.

"You're not. Just play your turn," I encourage.

"My brain can't process strategy right now."

I smile gently, placing the card I intend to play next at the top of my pile. "Are you just saying that because I'm winning right now?"

She narrows her eyes before she sets her hand down with a huff, blowing a stray hair off her face.

"Let's go for a swim."

"A swim?"

"In the lake." She sits up, straightening her shirt. It gives me a chance to finally breathe. "We never get to because it's usually so cold."

"The lake will still be freezing," I mumble.

I've been trying my hardest to keep everything strictly platonic between Sienna and I. It's the easiest option, considering I cannot marry her. Yet, she tempts me every day.

Going to the lake at night feels intimate. Dangerous.

"That only makes it more tempting," she says, the glint in her eyes absolutely devious. "Come on, we'll finish this game when my head is clearer."

She gets up, beckoning me to follow her. There's no chance I can deny her now.

"Alright then."

The night air is thick and soupy as we head off across the lawn to the edge of the woods. I feel less like an Alpha and more like a man sneaking away with his forbidden lover.

"How does your face feel now?" I ask, turning to survey the side of it. The bruise has started to fade, and the inflammation is now completely gone.

"Better. It's my dignity that's hurt the most," she says, continuing to fan herself, even as we step into the woods, which are already a touch cooler. "I put up with that for so long. I'm not sure what is wrong with me."