10

Word Count: 2128

~Sienna

Yawning, I brace back on my hands, feeling the sun warm my skin.

"He's far more handsome than I realised," Alex says distractedly, watching Onyx in the distance.

It's an unusually pleasant day out today, so I set up lunch for us to eat, joined by Alex's brother and chaperone, Rowan.

We are seated at the top of the grassy hill, looking down at the river that cuts through the valley, joining the lake a little further down. Onyx is walking with Violet, his hands tucked respectfully behind his back; his head bowed as he listens to what she is saying.

Alex is right about him being handsome, especially today.

He's chosen a dark green short-sleeved shirt, revealing his well-muscled arms and the tattoo's he got when he turned eighteen. Lucia nearly fainted upon seeing them, especially since their meaning still hasn't been entirely ascertained.

"Just wait until he smiles," I tell her, smothering my own as I take a bite from my apple.

"He is capable of that?" Rowan asks. Alex slaps his arm irritably.

The two are twins, I've since learnt. It makes sense since they have the same light blonde hair and stark blue eyes.

I laugh. "Surprisingly, yes, but it's rare. Very rare."

"Are you worried about who he will pick? About his future wife?" Alex asks lightly, tucking her hair behind her ear as she gazes longingly in his direction.

She's enamoured by him already. He's quite a good distance away, but she's looking at him like he's standing before her, giving her attention instead of Violet.

"I hope he picks someone who will love him. He deserves happiness," I say honestly. It's about time he settles down and starts to enjoy life instead of stressing all the time.

Rowan lounges back, his overly long hair hanging down over his eyes. "Some would disagree."

"Why?"

His mouth forms a hard line as he looks down toward Onyx. "Some people believe he is cruel. He has harmed a great many people."

People don't have to think that. He has harmed a lot of people, but I vehemently believe everything has done is to protect those he cares about, including his Pack members.

People don't like to consider who has to do horrible things so they don't ever have to consider it. Someone has to protect them.

"He would never hurt anyone who didn't deserve it," I impart.

Rowan's frosty eyes find mine. "Who decides who deserves it?"

I pause, my lips parting as I consider that.

Alex smacks her brother's arm, scowling at him. "Rowan. Stop."

"I don't know. But he may be your brother-in-law one day, so be careful." I laugh, although it sounds breathless.

I've brushed aside some of the horrors Onyx has inflicted for what we both believe to be the greater good. I know his heart, how torn he is when someone undeserving gets hurt.

He would never kill unnecessarily. I know it in my heart.

"I'm personally open to love him. It's why I'm here, after all," Alex muses wistfully, smiling at the prospect.

"I'm rooting for you," I tell her honestly.

If Onyx does pick her, she would be a nice addition to this place, and I could see myself becoming her friend.