11

Word Count: 1951

~Sienna

My bare feet pad against the cool hardwood floor as I make my way downstairs.

It's been some time since I've slipped from bed and headed to the kitchen. After all these years, it's still my comfort place and has nothing to do with the food.

Although that is a bonus.

I stop short at the doorway, seeing a figure rustling through the refrigerator. Upon hearing me enter, she glances over her shoulder, giving me a crooked smile.

"I was wondering if you would come down here."

"Diane, what are you doing up?" I rest my hand on my chest, a little spooked seeing her here. It's much past midnight at this point.

She closes the door, holding a handful of cubed cheese in her hand. "I could ask you the same thing."

"Restless. You know how I get." The kitchen is cold against my bare arms as I hoist myself up to sit on one of the counters, letting my feet dangle.

All the drama with the girls arriving and Onyx misbehaving has brought back my insomnia. I figured coming down here would be more productive than tangling myself in my sheets as I toss and turn.

"I assumed this would be stressing you out," Diane notes, popping a piece of cheese in her mouth.

Diane basically raised me. She's only ten years older than me, but after my mother died, she had no problem assuming responsibility for me.

I owe her everything.

"I'm sorry I haven't visited in a bit..." The last time I saw her was a week ago. I brought her lavender from the garden, knowing it's her favourite flower and scent. She crushes it down and uses it as perfume from time to time.

"You're a busy girl. What with this latest announcement and your new title." Her face erupts into a smile as she wanders closer.

I shake my head so my sleep-tangled hair falls down my back. "He's just doing that so I can stay here, safe."

"So you're not pregnant?" She glances down at my stomach.

"What? No!" Mortification stains my cheeks a deep red.

"I'm sorry, it just seemed like a totally random announcement." She shrugs innocently, the movement barely disrupting her sleek black hair. "I figured you two were hiding the impending birth of a bastard."

I glower at her. She knows very well that Onyx and I's relationship is strictly platonic. That doesn't stop her from making crude remarks whenever she can.

"You know me better than that."

"I know how he is with you." She wiggles her brows suggestively. "It's not a stretch to assume."

Onyx has never pressed the bounds of his friendship with me and is nothing but respectful. Diane clearly sees something between us that isn't there.

"Go sleep, you seem to need it," I grumble.

She winks. "You too, girl."

"Goodnight." I give her a little wave as she walks out, wrapping her dressing down around herself tightly.

As she leaves, Kayn walks in through the opposite door, yawning.

"Seems like this is the place to be tonight," he observes.

His hair is mussed from sleep, and his eyes are drowsy. I swallow thickly, noting his pyjama pants and lack of shirt. His skin is beautiful, dotted with plenty of dark brown freckles I notice even in the dim lighting.