23

Word Count: 3206

~Onyx

"It seems like everyone is vying for your attention tonight."

I push off the wall, looking at Maren.

"Everyone except who I want to," I mutter, scanning the dance floor for Sienna. She's there somewhere. Last time I saw her she was dancing with Alex, although it's been some time since then.

"Ouch. You could at least look somewhat pleased to see me." Maren tucks her hair behind her ear, revealing her long, straight jaw.

The entire reason for me standing against the wall was to avoid anymore propositions to dance. I can't stand another lifeless, pointless conversation.

Regardless, I turn to face her. "How are you, Maren? Secretly looking for ways to fuck me over?"

"Always, of course." She takes a long sip of wine. "And always looking for ways to fuck you."

She drags her dark green stare over me, her lips curving wickedly.

I shake my head, my jaw tightening. "I'm not in the mood."

I should have known she would ruin my night.

"What's the matter? Your mistress not around?" She glides closer, resting her hand on my shoulder. I brush it off irritably.

"Where is Sienna?" I mumble, searching through the mass of dancing people.

Now that I think about it, I haven't been able to get my eyes on her for a while now. I've been so lost in thought, wondering which excuse would get me out of this the fastest.

"Minding her own business elsewhere." Maren rests her hand on the side of my face, encouraging me to look at her. "I want to talk to you about Zion."

Usually that name would draw my attention.

"First I need to know where Sienna is." It doesn't feel like she's in the crowd, as everywhere I look there's an absence of her.

"This is a party. She's off enjoying herself somewhere." Maren snags my sleeve, leaning closer. "Your mistress will be in your room to service you tonight. For now, shall we continue talking?"

The sensation of suspicion blooms in my chest. "Why do I get the feeling you've done something?"

"What could I have done?" She gives a half shrug, but the wicked gleam in her eyes tells me all I need to know.

I push off the wall, not sparing her another glance as I stride onto the dance floor.

I split couples apart and send a few off the floor as I scan the area for my friend.

She's nowhere to be found.

With a hardened jaw I stalk toward the exit. She better have retired to a guest room early. I fear Maren has said something disparaging to her that has scared her off.

Passing by the towering double glass doors at the other end of the ballroom, I pause, the cold night air ruffling my hair.

Outside is a cobbled path cutting through an eclectic garden. I remember there being a magnificent foundation around the corner with plenty of space to sit down.

Something pulls me outside.

The hairs on the back of my neck stand up as I leave behind the elegant music and laughing people, striding into the shadows.

As I turn the corner, my heart jumps into my throat.

Sienna is pressed up against Lord Ableman, her dress rumpled beneath his hands as he grips her waist tightly. His face is buried against her neck, in her soft auburn waves that have been let loose.