35

Word Count: 2379

~Sienna

Every part of my body aches as I step up to the front door.

Seeing this place again, after months of being away is bizarre. The place seems more imposing than I remember, looking down over the largest village in the Pack, it's prominence reminder all of what kind of Alpha lives within these walls.

I feel out of place, like I'm not a part of this world anymore.

I knock firmly on the thick wood door before stepping back.

It took me all the money I stole from Kayn to get transport back, and a few hours walking by foot back to Onyx's estate. To add insult to injury, it's been pouring with rain my entire journey, and I'm soaked to the bone.

All this to not know whether Onyx even wants to see me.

The door opens a crack, light flooding into the darkness. A shadowy figure appears as I blink to adjust my vision.

"Sienna?"

"Hey Misty," I greet. I knew this maid would answer the door.

She looks startled, at both my appearance and the fact that I'm here at all, especially at such a late hour. I imagine my voice is all she recognised, since my hood is over my head, plastered to my body now in a way that has me wondering if it's integrated into my skin.

"Come...come in in."

Her attempts at smothering her confusion fail as I slowly hobble inside, my gait lopsided and uneven. My body aches from the long trek, and any blisters I obtained have since popped, leaving each step more excruciating than the last.

My face hurts the worst. I know there's a vicious bruise, which is why I've had a hood pulled over my head the entire journey.

"Is he here?" I ask her. She knows who I'm talking about.

She dips her head. "I'll go get him."

I watch her rush off up the stairs. It's late. Very late. The place is dead quiet, the only sound being the rhythmic dripping of water from my person onto the marble floor.

It dawns on me that Onyx may not even want to see me. He's married now...

Moments later, urgent footsteps sound from upstairs. Anticipation has me trembling. I could either be ousted from the house in disgrace, or invited to stay.

Suddenly, Onyx is there, standing at the top to the stairs.

I exhale slowly, overcome with a wild flurry of emotion.

For a long moment he just stands there, staring down at me. He's dressed in only loose black pants to sleep in, his beautiful, muscled and tattooed torso on display. I forgot how beautiful he was, and seeing him now has knocked the breath out of me.

"Sienna." I barely hear my name on his lips, like it's meant only for him.

He starts off down the steps, rubbing a hand through his sleep tousled hair.

"I'm sorry," I start once he's close. "I had nowhere else to go."

His scent washes over me, beautifully masculine and achingly familiar. He stops before me, looking over me with wide, cautious eyes.

"What happened?" He whispers.

I flip my hood back with one hand, revealing my battered face. "Kayn happened."

He draws in a sharp breath, his brows furrowing together.

His silence conveys his rage better than words ever could.