44

Word Count: 1793

~Onyx

The temperature in the room plummets.

Zion is a force, a presence that everyone feels. They know what he is capable of, of all the horrors that he have committed. I theorise that he attends these meetings so infrequently so we are caught off guard when he does, giving him an advantage.

He smiles, like the silence amuses him. He slides into the seat at the head of the table, careful not to wrinkle his perfectly pressed clothing.

"So, any deals made, any peace treaties signed?" He asks, sweeping his attention over the table.

Imogen scoffs, unimpressed as she resumes eating.

"Perhaps had you shown up in time, Alpha, you would be privy to such agreements," she mutters, shaking her head.

My stomach has tensed with his arrival, my appetite vanishing. I see that smug smile, those dark eyes that were the last thing my father saw before he died on the floor of a place just like this.

"I had something pressing to deal with," Zion informs us, adjusting the lapels of his jacket, ever the perfectionist.

Everyone resumes cautious conversation, although their eyes occasionally dart in his direction.

It's not that he is particularly strong, nor that his armies are very large. It's his brutality, his inhumanity. It scares people knowing how quickly he could turn a diplomatic conversation into one of war. He doesn't operate like the rest of us.

"I'm surprised you showed," Zion says. I glance over to see him staring at me.

A cold shiver passes over my skin. I temper my anger. Now is not the time to let my emotion overwhelm me.

"Why wouldn't I?" I question.

"I've gotten the impression you're afraid of me."

"For the sake of my pack, I keep my distance," I respond. "I find it difficult to manage myself in the presence of bloodthirsty monsters."

Zion's face erupts into a curious smile. To him, this is likely a glowing compliment.

"Bloodthirsty? That's quite the title."

"It's fitting," I mutter.

Beside him, one of the staff leans over to add water to his glass. The poor man looks petrified, nearly spilling the liquid across the table.

"What happened between your father and I is old business. It's part of the job," Zion responds simply. "Have you not learnt that in the very short time you've ruled?"

Anger ricochets through my body. He's trying to bait me to react first, but I remain calm, leaning back casually in my seat.

"Alright, settle down Alpha's. This meeting is about reminding us of the importance of our power, the importance of keeping everything civil," Lennon cuts in, his tone firm and no-nonsense.

Lennon has been attending these meetings for many years. He knows how to keep the peace.

Zion swiftly turns his attention to my friend. "Lennon. Bored of your wife yet? Shes an insufferable old hag isn't she?"

Everyone in the room falls silent. Wives are respected, often kept out of conversation. However, Zion finds no issue in striking everyone's vulnerabilities openly.

"At least she's alive," Lennon hisses, unable to help himself.

"Huh. What a shame." Zion continues eating, dismissing Lennon.

He's not who he is interested in targeting tonight.

"I suppose the loneliness is to blame this behaviour. Wars have been started from less," I say, cutting into my steak, watching the blood spill out onto my white plate.

I'm not even interested in eating this. I just want to fantasise about this blood being Zion's.

"I do better with solitude." He looks between me and Sienna "Unlike you, Onyx, who seems to need a random whore on his arm to function."

Sienna stiffens, pausing half way through cutting her meat. A cold, powerful rage settles over me the feels almost impossible to restrain.

"I would watch what you say to me," I warn darkly.

He cocks his head. "Or what?"

"Or I take the risk on killing you right here. Damn the consequences."

He blinks, swallowing thickly. He knows that without guards, I could kill him with ease, so looking afraid is apt. At least he doesn't want to challenge what I'm willing to do for Sienna.

Zion shifts his attention to the girl sinking deeper into her seat next to me. "So, Sienna, right? What a beautiful name."

I glance at Sienna, trying to convey that she doesn't need to speak to him if she doesn't want to.

"My mother had good taste," she responds tightly.

Zion's dark brows raise as my fists tighten beneath the table.

"Had?" He queries.

I doubt anyone else notices the small change in Sienna's demeanour, but it hits me straight in the chest.

Her eyes widen ever so slightly with alarm. Her breath hitches and raw emotion pools in her eyes. No amount of years can pass since Sienna's mother's death without it bringing devastation up upon mention of her.

And to hear someone as vile as Zion press for details must be harrowing for my friend.

"It doesn't matter," Sienna forces out, nearly choking on her words as she stares motionless down at her plate.

Zion rubs his face, contemplating whether to push the issue.

"How did you come to know Onyx?" He asks.

"That is no one's business," I hiss.

"My mother escaped a vile dangerous man and brought me to safety. Onyx's family were kind enough to take us in," she responds curtly.

To my surprised she's pushed away the fear, facing Zion head on. She stares him down, her clenched, her shoulders squared back.

"How romantic," Zion drones sarcastically, something unknown to me flickering in his eyes. "It's a shame about your mother. And about your choice in men."

Sienna's brows pinch together before she stands abruptly, her chair jerking back. Everyone stares, including me.

"May I be excused?" She questions, her voice riddled with anger, fear and deep sadness.

I stand with her, taking her hand. "Let me escort you to your room."

I don't care if they see me as weak. I don't care that they see tenderness, the genuine love I have for Sienna. All I care about is getting her to safety.

Everyone remains quiet as I guide Sienna from the room.

She immediately launches into a brisk walk, needing to put distance between that room and herself. I don't press the issue until we are half way up the stairs and she turns to me.

"I...I'm sorry."

"Hey, don't apologise," I breathe, brushing the hair off her face. "He had no right to bring her up."

Sienna wraps her arms around herself. It's not fair. She shouldn't have to feel so low when she looks so unbelievable tonight. She came to stun, and she succeeded. Everyone in the room was eyeing her in that unfairly sexy red dress.

"I hate talking about it. He of all people does not deserve to know what happened to her," she snaps, starting up the stairs again.

"He's trying to get under your skin," I remind her. "Now he knows your weakness he's going to exploit it. It's why he taunts you over my head to get a reaction."

I should have warned her. I just never expected him to bring up her mother. I mean, how does he even know to cross that particular line?

"Do you know much about Zion's wife?" She asks as we make it back to the room.

"I know she died in an supposed accident, but everyone assumes it was murder. Me included," I tell her.

She sweeps over to the bedroom window, pressing it open. A balmy breeze brushes her hair back over her shoulders, her eyes closing as she takes a deep breath.

"Did he have children?" She keeps her eyes closed, lines forming on the bridge of her nose as she scrunches it up.

"No. If he did none of us ever new about it. They would threaten his line of succession, and he couldn't have that. He would rather the position fall to someone he trained than his own blood."

Sienna's eyes dart to me, looking like I just told her something very important. It's gone in a blink.

"Weird. Alston said he had a daughter." She turns to me, chewing down on her nail anxiously.

I frown, studying her face. She usually diverts all conversation away from Zion, and now she is asking questions even I don't know the answer to.

"Everyone has a different theory. Some claim he had a daughter, another a son. Some say none at all, including me." I shrug off my jacket, laying it over the arm of the couch.

"Why?"

I lift one shoulder, knowing I haven't given it that much thought before. "Nothing has ever suggested otherwise."

If I knew Onyx had a child, I would use it against. Dead or alive, his offspring would be an excellent tool to use at his expense.

And due to their blood connection to him, I would have no trouble dabbling in the immoral.

"Do you think his own blood would have a real claim to his position?" Sienna wraps her arms over herself, drumming her fingertips against her biceps.

"Of course. But they would have to challenge him fairly, as he would never simply hand the power over," I explain to her.

It's a consideration for all Alpha's. Will your heir fall under your mentorship and take power when appropriate? Or will they challenge you early, wanting the power before you're ready to concede it?

"Interesting," she drawls, her eyes glazed over as falls into the depths of her mind.

I pause. "Why do you ask?"

She pulls herself from her thoughts, mustering a weak smile. "Just looking for things to taunt him back."

I step toward her, reaching out to cup her face. Her skin feels so soft beneath my touch, tempting me to forgo the rest of dinner.

She would be a far more decadent dessert than whatever they plan to offer downstairs.

"Be careful, okay? He won't hesitate to harm you," I remind her, leaning over to kiss her forehead. "Stay in the room until I'm back."

"Don't take too long. I'll be waiting." She hands me a jacket, holding my gaze.

"I won't." I laugh.

As if there would be anything that could keep me rushing back to this room, to her.

❤️••❤️

Thank you to everyone who has subscribed to this story over on Inkitt! Over there, you can read 15 chapters ahead!

If you would like to read more of The Alpha's Mistress, you can read over 10 chapters ahead on Radish!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Thank you for reading (:

I would love if you could check out my new story A GOD AMONGST WOLVES out now on Wattpad!

~Midika 💜🐼