3

Word Count: 2266

~Sienna

People surround Onyx, pulling his attention in all different directions.

I stand back a bit, watching. Him and I have both been invested in getting this hospital established here. Initially the proposal was rejected when his father ruled because this is a small village, but the healthcare here before wasn't sufficient.

"Sir, we would love to show you this new piece of technology that has saved many lives already," one of the doctors' claim, pointing back at the single-story building.

Onyx smiles, nodding. "Of course. I'll be there in a moment."

He turns to look at me, rubbing the back of his neck.

"You do that, and I'll go grab what I need from the store." I gesture down the street. I made an order not so long ago and I've been waiting for an opportunity to pick it up.

"Wait a bit and I'll come with you." He says. "Or I'll send someone to do it."

"I can do it. I'll meet you back here in like ten minutes." I smile, tapping his arm assuredly.

He frowns a little, looking off down the street, then back at me.

"Alright," he mutters begrudgingly.

I press through the crowd that has gathered, heading off down the street. Despite living close by, we don't often come here. It's why so many people have come around to view the spectacle that is their Alpha.

The store is a small one, nestled amongst many others that are vacant due to the town's visitor. I open the glass door, immediately being hit by a wave of incense and clove.

An older woman sits behind the counter, glancing up from her book, her pale eyes narrowing slightly upon me.

"Hello, I had someone come and place and order for me the other day for some material for a bracelet. Is it ready?" I ask, resting my hands on the countertop.

She leans down, pulling up a large book.

"What's your name dear?"

"Sienna."

Her yellowed fingernail traces down the page until she see's my order.

"Are yes, it's out back. Give me a moment."

She slips through the cascade of strung up beads that act as a door and out back, leaving me teetering from the tips of my toes to my heels as I said.

"Hey there."

I yelp, whirling around.

A man sidles up next to me, leaning his arm on the counter. He appeared seemingly out of nowhere. He must have been perusing the shelves piled with a freakish amount of stuff.

"Oh, hey." I swallow uncomfortably.

"I think I know you." He points at me, looking at me like he's trying to figure me out.

I shift, rubbing the back of my neck. "Impossible. I'm not from here."

"You're that pretty little thing the Alpha totes around." He leans a little closer, his smile laden with crooked teeth.

Something about him is making me uneasy.

"I work for the Alpha's mother, Lucia," I concede, tapping my foot impatiently. I'll admit anything to have him stop speaking to me.

How long does it take to find a few pieces of string?

"Not for him?"

"No."