18

Word Count: 2041

~Sienna

I step back, admiring my creation.

The lake is smooth tonight, the moonlight caressing it's surface. As I anticipated, the stars reflect effortlessly, creating a portrait of inexplicable beauty that is only visible on a clear night like this.

I've set out plenty of blankets and some pillows so Onyx and I can admire the night sky. There's plenty of food and drink, and I've even laid out some candles.

An onlooker would call this romantic. To me, it's just a special gesture from a friend.

Now, I just need to set the food out in a pleasing manner...

Rustling from the bush behind me has me whirling around, panicked. These parts of Onyx's property can be dangerous, with all sorts of creatures crawling about.

Onyx emerges from the tree's, the moonlight drenching him almost artfully.

"Hey you." I shake my head at him. "You're way too early."

Twenty minutes early, to be exact.

"Am I?" His hands are seated casually in his pants, his expression blank.

I wonder if he's here to make sure it's safe. When I told him to meet me at the lakeside, he went on about the dangers, warning me about getting too close to the water, ensuring I wear the appropriate amount of layers.

It's still cold tonight, but much warmer than usual.

"Yes. I haven't finished setting up all the food." I gesture to the blanket, all the containers Diane gave me still stacked and unopened.

"You did all this for me?" He asks quietly.

"Of course. I thought you would want to watch the stars against the lake's surface." I gesture out across the great expanse, a flicker of excitement skating across my skin.

I haven't had Onyx's full attention since he returned yesterday, and I'm anxious to spend time with him.

He smiles tightly before sitting down on the mass of blankets. I watch him curiously as he looks around, wearing the moonlight like a grand cloak.

He's oddly quiet. I suppress the feeling that something isn't right.

"This is nice."

I open the lid to one of the containers, finding an array of cheese and crackers. "Are you okay?"

He clears his throat, brows furrowing as he faces me. "There's something on my mind."

"What is it?" I abandon the food, suddenly feeling a little queasy. "Is it the girls, because they know I'm doing this for you, and they swear they don't mind."

Lexa gave me a bitter look, but Alex called it sweet and Violet just nodded in agreement. Nothing upsets that girl.

"They may mind..." he whispers.

"Why?"

"I've been keeping something from you," he admits, his eyes large and earnest, drawing me in. Somehow, his hair and eyes look even darker than usual, like they are drawing in the shadows around us.

"What?" I ask uneasily, getting the feeling this is something bad.

He looks toward the water, then back at me. "Swim with me, and I'll tell you."

I pull a horrified face, looking at the lake. It may be warmer than usual tonight, but I like how I styled my hair and the temperature will still be less than ideal.