22

Word Count: 2051

~Sienna

Alex's hands are clammy against mine as we sway to the music.

"I've never been to a ball like this before," she whispers softly, looking around with wide eyes.

I can't blame her reaction. Maren hosts extravagant parties.

Her ballroom has sweeping high ceilings and an overwhelmingly large chandelier that commands attention at the centre of the room. It casts a dancing cascade of light over the dance floor that shifts and glitters magically.

People dance around us in jaw-dropping expensive clothing to awfully dull music. At least the food is good, which is a good distraction from the fact that I can't dance with Kayn.

I can see him in the corner, talking to Rowan, his eyes shifting to mine every few seconds.

I turn my attention back to Alex."I thought you come from a powerful family."

"Rich, not powerful. My father came into money only recently after a family member he didn't know he had died," she explains, her rings digging into my skin. "So I'm still not used to all this."

"Everyone here is miserable," I say, sweeping my gaze over all their bleak faces. "Except Alpha Maren. She loves power."

She's near the door, still greeting people as they enter. I hate how beautiful she is. Her and Onyx would be well-suited if they weren't mortal enemies.

She's tall, with effortlessly silken black hair that falls to her shoulders. Her jaw and cheekbones are angular in a sharp, almost disconcerting way. She would be beautiful if beauty was confronting rather than admirable.

"So, what's happening with you and Kayn? Seems like it might get serious." Alex smiles knowingly at me.

"Maybe. I'm deciding if I want to move with him to his village when this is all over," I tell her, adjusting uncomfortably. This necklace is rubbing against my skin in a way that has me hoping it's not an allergy.

"What's holding you back?"

"Honestly?" I look across the ballroom at my friend, who is currently dancing with Lexa. "Onyx."

Alex sighs, rolling her shoulders.

"Can I be honest with you, Sienna?"

An apprehensive frown settles on my face. "Of course."

"I really like you. I think we could be really good friends." She sighs, her fingers tightening against my hands. "But if I get chosen, I'm worried about being with Onyx when he clearly has feelings for you."

I flutter my eyes, shocked.

Alex has never been so blatant with me. Her sharp blue gaze gives me nowhere to cower to.

"He doesn't have feelings for me. He's just a friend," I tell her firmly.

I don't blame her for drawing such a deep line in the sand. She's here for love, which I admire so much about her. She doesn't want anything getting in the way of that, and I understand completely.

"I see things. I hear things." She leans a little closer. "I want love. Real love. If Onyx doesn't think he can love me, I can't be with him."

I press my lips together, feeling the tackiness of my lipstick.

"That's totally fair," I say, watching Onyx talk to Lexa as he smoothly dances with her through the crowd. "You should talk to Onyx and be honest. He will appreciate it."

Her makeup creases around her mouth as it tightens. "What if he sends me home?"

I hold back my grimace.