37

Word Count: 2070

~Onyx

I'm about to make some bad fucking decisions.

I lean my back against a thick tree trunk, staring at Kayn's house in the distance. The entire drive here I contemplated how I was going to do this.

There is nothing I value more than Sienna's opinion. She doesn't want Kayn dead.

And yet, I'm here to kill him.

The last thing I want is to hurt her. Yet, the thought of Kayn harming her again, or anyone else for that matter, has me deciding I really am going to do away with him.

Pushing off the tree, I start off toward the house. It's doused in darkness, but I know he's home.

My footsteps are near silent as I open his front door and step inside.

A figure immediately emerges from the shadows, wielding a knife directed at my neck.

It takes little effort as I shove the person back. They stumble away, the knife clattering against the floor as their back hits the wall. I sweep down, picking it up.

I push them deeper into the house, seeing it's Kayn as he falls into the light.

He scrambles away, bumping into the edge of his dining room table. He looks mortified, his entire body shaking.

He knows exactly why I'm here.

"Nice try." I turn the knife over in my hand, examining the blade. The poor man thought a kitchen knife would suffice.

"I knew you would come," he says, rounding the dining table so there's something between us.

"I figured," I mutter. "Quite the plan, attacking your Alpha."

His eyes flicker back to the kitchen, where there are more knives. I implore him to try, although my patience is waning.

"What other choice did I have? I know you've come here to kill me."

I shrug, looking around the place. Everywhere there are traces of Sienna. In her haste she left behind quite a few of her belongings.

I see her in the fabric still strewn about the place. I see her in the cuttings of plants on the coffee table, in the books about nature on the shelves.

My throat dries. How could I ever let her be away from me for the better part of a year?

"Who says I've come to kill you?" I ask him, tugging out a chair, pointing at him to sit in it. "I'm just here for a chat."

He blinks apprehensively, but when it's clear I'm not going anywhere, he picks his way around the table, sitting down uncomfortably. I pull a chair out myself, only a few feet from him, enjoying the way he stiffens at my proximity.

"Oh. Well, I'm sorry," he mumbles quietly.

"Sorry?"

"For hitting Sienna. I always knew there was something between you two, and when she confirmed it, I got so fucking angry." He digs his fingers into his hair so tightly it turns his face red. He lets me go the moment he notices my disturbed stare.

"So I'm sorry," he adds sheepishly.

I lean forward, bracing my forearms on my knees. This experience is going to be an exercise of self-control.

"Do you think sorry is enough?"

Kayn fidgets uncomfortably, glancing at me and then at the front door. Even he's not stupid enough to make a break for it, knowing he has to get past me first.