38

Word Count: 1706

~Sienna

Lucia lays her hands on my shoulders, kissing the side of my head before she sits opposite me at the table.

"Sienna dear. I'm glad to see you back," she exclaims warmly.

I have nothing against Lucia. I understand why she encouraged me to leave. She wants me to have my own life, not in her son's shadow. I know she loves me, and she wants the best for me, which includes coming back here.

"Me too."

"I heard about what happened. Being here is the safest place for you right now." She pushes a teacup across the table at me, motioning me to pick which flavour of tea I want from one of the painted pots.

"Thank you, Lucia."

I look to the head to the table, where Violet sits. She wears all white like her wedding day, with her black hair smoothed back, her shoulders impeccably straight.

She really is the perfect Luna. I envy her, even if Onyx insists they are just friends.

"I'm sorry, Violet, if this is weird for you," I blurt out.

"It's not. I'm happy you're here," she assures me. "Onyx hasn't been himself since you left."

Violet is inherently diplomatic, but I believe her. Onyx told me himself that she has a lover. I just hope she doesn't worry I'll disrupt the peace in this Pack.

"She's right. I hardly recognise him," Lucia adds.

I pour myself some green tea, stirring some honey into it. I know first hand the kind of pain Onyx felt while I was gone, because I felt the exact same hurt.

"I spoke to him before he left and he seems immediately different." Lucia sounds genuinely pleased. "It's like he lost a piece of himself."

"I felt the same way," I murmur.

"We do, however, need to think about your position here," Lucia adds tentatively. "People will hear about your return, and they will talk."

"I'm not sure if I'm staying here long. I still want to live my life," I share.

The reality of Onyx and I's relationship hasn't changed. Unless something changes, I cannot marry him, I will never have exclusivity with him, at least in the public's eye.

I'll never get the life with him I truly want.

Lucia dips her head, her silver jewellery glittering in the sunlight. "Of course. In the meantime, I think we should continue the ruse that you're his mistress."

"I suppose." I sweep my gaze to Violet. "Are you sure you're okay with that, Violet?"

She shrugs, a gesture far more casual than I thought she was capable of. It's her reputation that can be effected by her husband taking a mistress so soon after a marriage.

Especially when they did everything they could to make their union seem genuine.

"I don't mind. It's not like we are in love," she responds, pulling apart the segments of a piece of fruit.