One

As the group of Casey's friends left after telling her whereabouts on campus they were and ensuring she was going to the freshers party later. Xander explored the small kitchen in the open plan area, "hey I'll step out let you say your goodbyes."

"No. Xander was it?" Casey's mom asked. "It's okay. We'll just be a second." The older blonde smiled.

Xander felt a little nervous as she nodded. And moved her floppy curly fringe from her face.

"Case, sweetheart your father and I are extremely proud of you. We know you will make an amazing lawyer young lady. Have fun okay but remember your studies come first. Mind we're just a call away and Hunter is just along the hallway."

Hunter, Xander mused at the name of what they assumed was her new roommate's brother. She noticed the older blonde embrace her daughter and leave a kiss on her cheek.

"Nice to meet you," the mother said as she gave Xander a wave before exiting the room.

"So" the blonde smiled.

"So. You're studying law? You must be super smart."

Casey laughed, "don't know about that but yeah. It's a family thing. That and doing a short course in creative writing because that is what I love."

"Cool so defense law then? When you're combining law with creative writing." The brunette tried to make a joke.

"It doesn't work like that."

"I know. I was trying to be funny."

"Right. Sorry I'm just a bit nervous. You?"

"Yeah I'm a bit nervous too."

"No, I mean what are you studying?"

"Ah politics and social policy. I'm on a soccer scholarship. So I just picked something I enjoyed."

"You like politics and social policy."

"Well I love politics- weird right and I thought it would work well with social policy but I have no actual idea what that is."

The blonde laughed, "so not just a dumb jock then?"

"Well, we'll see." Xander made a funny face. "Did you pick your room yet?" They asked in relation to the bedrooms.

"No."

The flat was small. There was a small three seater sofa in the living area which looked onto the kitchen area. It was open plan and the dividing of space was a breakfast bar complete with a couple of stools. There was a bedroom either side of the living space, one was slightly smaller but was next to the bathroom and had a window looking out onto the grounds. The other was larger; the outlook was to the service area for the canteen and bins at the back.

Both rooms had a single bed, desk, bedside table both with lamps. And a tall wardrobe with small drawers for clothing. The slightly smaller room was the better of the two.

As they walked around they both seemed interested in the same room. "How about the person who is oldest chooses first." Xander said at 19 pretty sure they'd win. They knew most freshmen were still 18."

Okay Casey smiled, "I'm 19."

"Me too, when is your birthday?"

"September 5th."

Xander laughed and shook her head. "Me too."

Casey smiled "no way. What time were you born?"

"I have no idea." Xander moved the annoying hair from their brow again. "I'll call my mum. Do you know what time you were born?"

"823 in the morning. My mum had my chart done."

"Your chart?" The brunette asked while they hit dial on their mobile.

"Yeah my mum is into loads of spiritual stuff and astrology and things."

"Hi. Yeah I got here safe." Xander said to her mum down her cell, I'm just going to put you on loudspeaker you can say hello to Casey my roommate"

"What no Xan. It's too late isn't it?"

"Hello Xander's mom."

"Hello Casey. If she- sorry I mean they, give you any hassle you have my permission to give them a smack."

Xander reddened as they appreciated somewhere deep down they might actually like that idea. They watched as Casey blushed too and wondered if she was having the same lewd thought, probably not. "Anyway thanks for that mom. We were just picking rooms and decided that the person who was the oldest should get the first choice and it turns out we have the same birthday. Wondering what time I was born?"

"Xander, we brought you up better than that, just give the girl the better room. You will probably never be in it anyway."

They listened to their mom and half smirked. They had planned to do exactly that but had wanted to be older so they could have looked all chivalrous. "Thanks mom."

"Oh and just around 820 in the morning. You kept me waiting all night. See you soon, bug." Their mom hung up.

"We could be like universal twins or something." Xander jokes. "You take the nicer room. I'll maybe be at the team house sometimes too so I might not be in as much."

"If you're sure." Casey smiled. Lifting her bag incase her roommate changed their mind.

Xander nodded, realising already they wanted to make Casey smile as much as they could. It was such an amazing sight.

"Can I ask?"

"Yeah sure."

"I don't want to assume but your preferred pronouns?"

"Them they, although I don't mind -she if it slips out. You since I shouldn't just assume?"

"She her." Casey smiled and gave Xander another wink as she headed into her bedroom.

Xander lifted their bag and headed to theirs. They closed the blind over the window and switched on the lamp on the bedside table. Before getting the sheets their mom had laundered out of the bag and made up the bed. Finally, they put their clothes away. Mostly shorts, and hoodies and a few pairs of dress trousers and shirts just in case they needed them. Setting one pair of dress shoes and a pair of soccer boots at the bottom of the wardrobe they finished by filling the drawers with boxers, socks and sports bras.

They slipped their hoodie off and the vans from their feet and settled onto the bed with the print outs of the timetable of classes and soccer training. It felt like they had stayed in the room for ages, wondering if they should sit in the living space, not sure how the shared space would work.

"Xan. Sorry, is it okay if I call you that?" Casey shouted through the door.

"Yeah and just come in."

Casey was drawn to the brunette's arms. It was the first time she'd seen them bare and she smiled as she took in the tattooed sleeve that adorned the soccer player's left arm. She heard Xan give a small cough as if to say okay you done checking me out. The blonde hoped she wasn't blushing, "I'm going to the store to get some food. Wondering if you want to come. Maybe there are some things we would like to share. Also there is a washing machine in the bathroom so we could like get detergent and things."

"Yeah sure." They slipped off the bed and put their shoes back on. "Is the store far?"

"There's a market about 20 mins away I'll drive if you like." Casey watched as the brunette pulled on a jumper. They could help notice the slither of skin that showed as their T-shirt moved up exposing a very toned abdomen.

"Brilliant as I don't have a car." Xander replied as there head poked out from the jumper, catching the blonde checking them out. They smiled in response. Causing Casey to redden and turn away.