Twenty-one

By the time Xander and Casey stepped off the bus at Kansas city station they were shattered. Xander took Casey's hand as they helped them off the bus before heading to get the luggage from holding. There was a light dusting of snow on the ground. The brunette regretted traveling in shorts now.

"Xan." The soccer player felt a jolt against their ribs. Followed by a bear hug.

"So I need to go away for four months for you to like me." They addressed their sister.

"Ali this is Casey."

"Does mom know you're bringing a girlfriend home?"

"Yeah she does."

"Case babe, this is Alison, my annoying squirt of a sister."

"Hi" the blonde smiled. It was like looking at junior Xander.

"You're too pretty to be my sister's girlfriend."

Casey laughed. "You're sister is very attractive but more than that they are kind and thoughtful."

"Moms with car. Shotgun!" Ali ran towards the vehicle.

Xander put their bag over their shoulder and lifted Casey's. Taking the blonde's hand with their free one. "You'll be golden, trust me." They kissed the blonde on the cheek before they walked hand in hand to the car."

"Xander." Their mom called on them from the side of the car, they dropped Casey's hand and moved over for a hug. "I don't think it's possible but it looks like you've got taller, maybe thinner. Are you looking after yourself?" Marilyn said smiling with happy tears as they looked at their kid from arms length, "You're so like your father."

"Mom, this is Casey."

"Hello Mrs Hopkins."

"Oh my nobody has called me that since the neighbors kids grew up and moved away. It's Marilyn dear and is this now official then?

"All Xander said was that they were bringing a friend home for Christmas. But I'm thinking..."

"Mom" the soccer player said with that tone that suggested their mom stopped digging.

"Well," Casey smiled. "They haven't officially asked but if they want me."

Xander gave the blonde a look. While their mom and sister got in the car. "Didn't know we were still at school and I had to say the words. Of course I want to be official." They smiled as they lifted both bags and put them in the trunk. They then opened the rear driver's door for the blonde to get in.

"Did mom tell you she's also got a girlfriend?" Alison piped up from the front.

"No." Xander grinned. "Mom hasn't mentioned a thing." They located their moms eyes in the rearview.

"Do you mind Jean, who runs the post office in town?" Marilyn said, "And she's not my girlfriend. We just go out sometimes and she comes once a week for dinner."

"Yeah with flowers," Ali added with the famous Hopkins smirk.

"It's just to say thank you."

"Yeah, yeah" Ali added with a wink.

Casey looked at Xander who was smiling from ear to ear. "Mrs Watson?"

"Jean, yes." Her mother confirmed.

"Does it make you happy?" The soccer player asked.

They could tell by her mothers eyes it did.

"Anyway she is joining us tonight and staying over Christmas. John Griegson Junior is also joining us for dinner."

"Seriously. Why? He was such a dick at school."

"Because he's been helping out on the farm and he's courting your sister." Marilyn replied flatly.

Xander tried to repress a laugh and failed. "Courting?"

Casey also giggled.

"So I go away for four months and you're a lesbian and my sister's playing hookie with the school bully, excellent." The brunette felt Casey take their hand.

The last part of the journey over, Casey took in the farmstead. It was traditional. The wooden structure looked like it could do with a paint. Marilyn parked the car near the side door. There was a reasonable amount of snow around the property. Xander got out of the vehicle and went to the trunk for the bags.

They watched Casey's face as she stepped out the car, with a crunch under her feet. She was smiling broadly as she looked over the white covered feild.

"We can go for a walk before dinner if you like?" Xan smiled at the blonde.

"I'd like that. I've only seen snow like this when I've been skiing. And never at Christmas it's like how it's meant to be."

"Yeah I guess if you grow up just outside of LA you don't really see this. Come on, we'll get in and settle for a bit."

"Xan, honey I put the fire on in your room. You might want to check if it might need fuel." Marilyn said as they entered the house. "Casey I assumed you were sharing with Xan but if not then we can get a fire in the spare."

It was immaculate, warm, and friendly . A large real fir tree adorned the main window. An open fire lit the room with a homely glow that made Casey feel so welcome.

"No, she's sharing. Come on, I'll show you up." Xander said, taking the blonde's hand.

"It's like a Christmas card." She whispered as they walked upstairs.

Xander's room had posters of footballers on the including a large print of the women's US team. "That's my dream." They said to Casey. "But I'm getting a little old to get picked up."

"You're brilliant though, well I think so with my limited knowledge of soccer." The blonde smiled.

"Thank you and we will need to see if I can change that." Xander wrapped their arms around the blonde and pulled them in for a kiss.

"Mmm," Casey smiled. "You know your room is kind of romantic. I can see us sitting here later on the rug, in front of the fire with a hot chocolate."

"That sounds good and romantic, it also makes us sound 90 rather than 19 but..." Xander smirked. "Come on I'll sort the fire and we can go for a walk."

"You know that cheesy smirk of yours is what I first noticed about you? Well that and your eyes."

The soccer player remained grinning, "this is a Hopkins trademark."

"Yeah I noticed your sister has it too."

"Seriously you checking out my sister?" The brunette joked as they loaded coal and logs to the fire. Before replacing the guard.

"Just noticed she's a mini you."

"Poor kid.  Anyway we should get going if you want a walk." Xander said pulling on a pair of denims.

When they reached the front door they handed Casey a scarf, gloves and a hat before putting some on too.

"It's not that cold."

"Trust me you will need them."

"Bug. Jean will be here in an hour and dinner will be soon after." Marilyn shouted from the kitchen. "Casey is there anything you don't eat sweetheart?"

"No everything is fine."

"Good. Don't be away too long, there is snow coming in."