Twenty-Eight

Xander looked at the clock. Someone had switched the music off and switched the TV on so they could time the New Year in, they were just waiting on the station showing the fireworks from Embarcadero.

They felt their heart beat quicken with the trepidation that Casey wasn't going to show up. For the last thirty minutes telling anyone who asked, "she'll be here soon."

Now as partners stood together, drinks in hand waiting as the sixty seconds started to countdown. Xander knew she wasn't going to be here on time.

Five, Four, Three, Two, One "Happy New Year" the crowd cheered and the group watched the dazzling display of colors blast into the night sky. Casey looked at her phone. She'd tried to send a message through but the networks were too busy and it had failed to send.

"Can I go now?" She asked her Dad who had led her around the room introducing her to his lawyer acquaintances.

"No. We've got one more thing to sort out. Come with me." Her Dad took her hand and moved them back into a small room off the function suite.

When she entered she saw Hunter with his stepmom and father. She looked at her father horrified.

"Now." Her father said, "Hunter said he's willing to forgive you. Now I don't know what it's all about but he mentioned the girl you had here at thanksgiving and really Casey you are so much better than cavorting with a farm girl. I'd be so disappointed to hear you were a young woman who couldn't be faithful. Now I think that the fact that Hunter here is still willing to marry you says a lot about the strength of his character."

Hunter took her lips in a kiss, "happy new year."

"Get off. I have no idea where you've been. For your information. It's Hunt who is the cheat and through one of his sordid encounters he brought back an STI to share with me. So no I won't be marrying him or getting back together with him. And as for the farm girl, their name is Xander. They are not a girl and I love them."

The blonde stepped out of the room before her father could say anything else she felt humiliated.

"So" Ainsley sat beside Xander on the steps of the patio. "She didn't come."

The brunette screwed their face up in a disappointed agreement.

"I'm sorry mate. You know I think you're too good for her. She seems to always mess you around."

"You mean like how Ashley treated you and now look you're engaged."

"Don't be a dick it's not my fault she didn't show."

"I know. I didn't mean to be arsey. I just meant that... oh I don't know. I'm going to head home. See if she is there."

Xander returned to an empty apartment. They sighed as they took their cell from their pocket. Checking the time they became less pissed and more worried for the first time. They started to type a message when they heard Casey come through the door.

"I'm sorry Xan."

"It's okay. I was just starting to get worried. But you're okay." Xander walked through to their room.

Casey followed, "please don't be like this. I tried, I'm sorry."

"Yeah I looked like an idiot I told everybody you were coming. It was humiliating standing there at midnight on my own. I should have known that you would have had something better to do. You see Hunter?" The soccer player sat on the edge of their bed.

"Don't be a jealous prick Xan. Yeah I saw Hunter. I..."

"He was your kiss?" Xander could barely look up.

"Well yeah he..."

Xander shook their head, "Fuck off."

"You know what fuck you Xan I've had a hellish night, worrying about you, about not getting away, having to tell my family that, that prick that they want me so much to get back with gave me a STI and that even without that... that I," she looked at the soccer player staring at the floor.
"Nevermind. You're not even listening." The blonde retreated from the room and pulled the door shut in a slam.

Xander sat for a moment, a mix of hurt anger and guilt bubbled in them. It wasn't long before the guilt took over. They got up and headed along to Casey's room the door was closed they could hear the blonde crying.

"Case, I'm sorry, can I come in?"

They didn't wait for a response before entering and moving over to pull their partner into a hug. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to make you cry. Casey. Apart from me being a dickhead turning things toxic with my stupid insecurities, what else happened tonight. I was listening. I'm sorry you had such a shit time." They felt the blondes arms tighten around them and responded by holding them closer.

"My Dad had set up a meeting, Hunt told him that I'd been cheating with you but he'd forgive me and take me back."

"So you had to tell them the truth. Sorry hun that must have been horrible."

Casey nodded her head against Xander's shoulder.

"I wish I could have been there and that I was a better person when you came home. I love you. I am going to try my best not to make you cry again."

"You're here now. Just hold me."

Xander moved around onto the bed kicking their shoes off and lying against the wall, Casey moved in and felt completely safe the moment she felt the brunette's arms embrace her.

"I told my family about us. I told them I love you."

"I love you too beautiful." They stroked the blonde's hair and face.

There was peace and an understanding created between the pair that night. Xander grew to stop listening to the voice in her head. Casey felt freer to hold and kiss her partner in public. She'd even agreed to a double date with Ainsley and Ashley.

They spent January supporting each other through midterms, going out and making daft memories together and spending every night wrapped up in Casey's bed.

"Here" the blonde took the set of photos and carefully tore them in half. You can have two I'll have two. So now you can keep me in your wallet. And I can check out your handsome face even when you're not around."

"Cheers." Xander looked at the daft pics they'd just taken in the Photo Booth and smiled as they put them in their wallet. They pulled the blonde into a hug and kissed her hair while they walked to the soccer team house for a Friday night party.

"So next week is Valentine's." Casey smiled.

"So it is." Xander pretended to be surprised. "And are you thinking of surprising me?"

"I might have a few things up my sleeve."

"Oh is that right. I'll need to see if can channel my romantic side. See what I come up with."

"Hey!" Ainsley jumped on them before they had even had a chance to close the door. "Did you see?"

"What?" Xander was confused.

"We're going to England, we're going to play in some university tournament for three weeks. The scouts are all going to be there." Ainsley was jumping up and down as she cuddled the winger.

"Me, I'm going?"

"Yeah you're on the squad list. We leave on 12th."

Xander looked at Casey. The blonde smiled. "There will be loads of Valentine's babe. Don't worry, just don't pick up some English gal."

"No need to worry about that. You're the only one for me."

"Yuck!" Ainsley said laughing as she walked away.