Twenty

Xander woke up alone in Casey's bed. The doubts started instantly. They got up and put last nights clothes on and exited to find the blonde dancing in the kitchen.

"Hey, how did you end up in my bed last night?"

Xander felt their heart sink, "you asked me. Nothing happened. I'm sorry. I should've just gone home."

"Xan, I'm kidding with you. I was just about to make some pancakes before I started packing for our trip."

Xander smiled, "you've not changed your mind then?"

"Nope. You're stuck with me all winter break. If you still want me, that is?"

"Yeah" the soccer player nodded.

The pair sat at the breakfast bar and enjoyed breakfast together. "I can't believe your so chirpy you we're literally drowning in vodka last night."

"Yeah as long as I sleep I am good, I don't really do hangover stuff , and I slept well." She looked Xander in the eyes.

"That's good. You were giving it big snores."

"I was not."

After their lunchtime breakfast Xander left, going to pack their own bag. "The bus leaves the station at five. Do you want me to come get you about four?"

"No, I'll get you at the station."

Ainsley dropped Xander at union station around 430 Casey was nowhere to be seen. The winger looked nervous. "She'll be here mate." The captain said without the conviction that Xander needed. But the redhead also had her doubts. "Have a good break."

"I will. What if she doesn't come?"

"She will and if she doesn't then please do yourself a favor and move on." The captain gave them a hug. "See you next year."

"Yeah you too have a good one." Xander lifted their hold-all from the back seat.

The bus station was busy, people and luggage. A choir was singing carols in the terminal building. Barely audible over a crying toddler who was literally throwing their toys from their buggy.  They made their way through to stance 22 heading to Las Vegas. They looked around it was 445, their gut started to churn. It wasn't overly warm but it was kind of muggy like a storm was needed.

"Passengers on the 1700 hours to Las Vegas have your tickets and passes ready for inspection." The greyhound bus was prised ready to leave. Xander hung back looking around but there still was no sign of Cassie as the other passengers hurried forward in the hope of getting better seats. They stood at the back of the queue and looked around. It took several moments while some people loaded cases to the space under the bus.

"Miss are you joining us?" The conductor asked.

Xander checked their watch 457. She's not coming. The brunette cursed themself for hoping.

"Miss?"

"Yeah, sorry." They showed the QR code on their phone to the inspector. And put their large bag under the bus they took one last look around before stepping into the coach. There was one empty seat almost right at the back of the bus. They heard the engine start to roar as they sat down at the window. Placing their small bag on the empty seat. Where Casey was meant to be sitting.

They should be used to feeling like this, this after all is what the blonde had been doing to them since almost their first night together, crushing their hope. Making them feel like they meant nothing. Yet as they heard the beeper sound to alert others that the bus was reversing, they still found salt water ebbing from their jade stare. It was going to be a long 36 hours.