Thirty Six

When Xander got to their apartment they quickly went to bed. Not tired, they typed Alex and Cassie Ghost detectives into you tube. They waited as the advert hit a skip point and watched a fan edit start. She looked at the screen she'd forgotten about this but now as she looked at Alex briefly on the screen it was almost like looking in a mirror. Casey was right, the only difference was a twist in their nose.

They ended the video, checked the time and called Ainsley.

"Hi Ash is Ains there?"

"Yeah I'll just shout her."

They heard the call through the phone. "How's pregnancy suiting you?" Xander asked her friend's wife.

"Yeah I'm enjoying this bit of it. Ains has been decorating the nursery today. Oh here she is."

"Hey babe. How's things?"

"Yeah good. So we talked."

"And."

"I still love her Ains."

"Not what I wanted to hear. But if I'm honest I saw this coming. What did she say?"

"Just a bit like what I had worked out, I was right when I said to you the other night that she must've been pregnant. Her Dad gave her an ultimatum. Me and nothing or her family and the financial security it offered..."

"So she picked money and you seriously want to go back there?"

"No she didn't think we could make it with a kid, that she didn't know if I wanted. And she thought if we tried it would mean us struggling and me having to give up my dream to play soccer. She said she couldn't do that to me. But that she has regretted her decision ever since."

"Hmmm" the redhead sighed down the phone. "Does she still have feelings for you?"

"I think so. She almost said as much."

"Xan, she almost destroyed you."

"Yeah. But, what if maybe this is our time? You know did I ever tell you about the crazy idea her mom had that we were soul bound."

"Eh?"

"There's an old 90s TV show, it's a bit of a tragic story but we are so a like the people, it's crazy. I'll send you a link to have a look and see if you think any of them look like me? Or Casey?"

"Okay. Xan, if you're going to go back there. Which I have no doubt you will. Take it slow, make sure she's on the same page okay?"

"I will. So what color is the nursery?"

Ainsley laughed, "nice try, but still not telling you if it's a girl or a boy."

They spoke for another twenty minutes before the tiredness and the emotion of the day weighed Xander's eyelids with the need for sleep.

They purposely avoided Casey over the next few days. While they thought about all the pros and cons of trying again if that was in fact what the blonde wanted.

But thanks to their previous offer they knew there was no way of escaping Casey tonight. She took Dawn's hand and led her out onto the field. And rested their hands on the girls shoulder while they lined up for the national anthem.

"Go get em hurricane." Dawn smiled and a xander crouched to give them a hug. "I love you Xander."

"You too kiddo. See you after the game." They smiled bank asked the God's for a sign something to show them that in fact Casey and Dawn were where their life was meant to be. 

That sign came with a tremendous crack about twenty five minutes into the game. They hit the deck and almost choked on the blood flooding their mouth. The tears flowed from their eyes.