Twenty-Seven

Xander and Casey lay wrapped up in each others naked and spent bodies. They had spent the whole night making each other moan. They were now sleepy. As they held and caressed each other.

They got back to their college apartment late last night. Cassie had talked Xander into a flight so they could spend another day with their family.

"What time is your thing?" The blonde asked.

"We've just gotta be there before midnight but I'd said to Rose that we'd probably show about 8-9ish you okay with that."

"Yeah I can't come. I've got a family thing."

"Well I'll come with you then."

"It's a business mixer my Dad holds every New Year's Eve. It's black tie."

"Well I have those new trousers my mom got me for Christmas and I have a white shirt. I'm sure I can borrow a jacket and bow from somewhere."

"Yeah." Casey's response was not full of enthusiasm. "It's pretty much a work thing. They'll all be in tuxedos and evening gowns."

"Yeah so my black slacks ain't going to cut it. It's okay, you know. Just say it. I'm not rich enough, I'd embarrass you." Xander moved out of the hug.

"Fuck sake Xan we're not back at this. I thought we'd got by this after the argument because I bought you a plane ticket. No, it's nothing to do with that. It's invite only."

"And I'm not invited. So you've not told them about us then."

"It's been a week and I've not been home."

"Yeah you spoke to your mom though." They said as they sat up and swung round, to the edge of the bed.

"Yeah I'm not going to tell her on the phone. Anyway, this is a ridiculous argument. I will talk to her later."

"Yeah whatever, I'm going for a shower."

"You're such a child." Casey shouted after the brunette as they left the room.

Xander cursed themself for being an idiot as they stepped into the hot spray. They knew they'd have to explain and apologize. They also knew that they couldn't keep behaving like this but somewhere in their head they couldn't comprehend what Casey saw in them. They were so different. They just didn't feel like they measured up. Not enough money, different background. Problem was events like Casey's fathers New Year's party only confounded the issue.

The soccer player washed their hair while the thought about the fact Hunter would be there and Casey's Dad would be pushing them back together. That Hunt the Cunt would probably be the blonde's New Year's kiss. They shook their head as the lu washed the lathered soap from their scalp and set about cleaning their body.

They heard their moms voice in their head. Make sure that your clean, dressed, have money in your pocket, and be with the people you love because how you spend the moments into the Next year determine how you'll spend it. While Xander dismissed much of what their mom said, they held onto this. It's just a stupid superstition they told themself as they stepped out of the cubicle and wrapped themselves in a towel.

"Case." Xander gently knocked on the door.

"Oh so you've had time to think and you want to apologize?"

"Yeah. Look I know it's ridiculous but. I really wanted to see the New Year in with you. I think that you should be with the people you love when the clock strikes 12."

"That's not stupid, it's kind of sweet. What if I try to come find you by midnight."

The brunette smiled. "Yeah. That would be amazing."

"Xan, you have to stop thinking that I'll change my mind or that you're not good enough. I know that's what's going on in your head you know?"

"I'm sorry. It's just that we're so different. I can't give you the life that you're used to."

"You give me something better. You make me feel like I'm the most beautiful woman and precious thing in the world. You make me feel loved. And I want to make you feel that too. I'm sorry about the party tonight. I will tell my parents but I need to find the right time. They are still getting used to idea that I am not with Hunter. I know my mom will be okay but I don't know how my Dad will be about the whole lesbian thing."

"I'm sorry. I won't force you out. It just, "

"Like your mom said, you're a lot more sensitive and insecure than you make out."

"Yeah. Can I have a hug?"

They both left the apartment together a little after eight. Xander had their new black slacks on and black shirt with a white t showing through the open buttons at the top. It was a lot more dressed than how they usually hung out with the team.

Casey had a black evening gown on. It was cut away at the shoulder and dipped to a love heart shape covering her breasts. Xander couldn't keep their eyes off them. Or indeed their hands or lips. As they said goodbye for a few hours.

"You look stunning."

"Thank you. You look pretty handsome yourself. I'll see you at midnight." Casey gave the brunette a quick peck on the cheek and entered the town car which had been sent to pick her up.

At the soccer house the music was bouncing it was stowed with people Xander knew and didn't. The team were there with partners, girlfriends, boyfriends and new year hookups. There was the boys team too, a few who were trying to hammer a tap into a new keg of beer. Xander watched as the captain limboed under the keg and released the tap until the liquid filled and spilled from his mouth all over his face and the floor.

They went looking for Ainsley and Rose. They wanted to share their news. They lifted a bottle of lager from the ice bucket, twisted the cap off and set off into the living area where people were dancing. Some were sitting in the corners in groups. The couches were full. Everyone looked a bit wasted. It seemed like this party had been going on for hours if not days.

Heading out onto the patio area she passed a group playing beer pong and spotted Rose embroiled around some tall guy. They waved over. Rose waved back with a sign to say catch you in a few minutes.

"So did you get laid for Christmas?"

Xander smiled. And turned to give the redhead a hug. "Ains, how are you?"

"I'm good. Well better than that." She stretched her hand out. "Turns out I got a fiancé for Christmas"

"Amazing. Congratulations. Is she here?"

"Yeah she is in my room." The captain winked.

"Ah I see."

"You here with anyone?"

"No..."

"Oh shit sorry mate."

"No. We're together, she's just got a family thing. She'll be here before midnight."

On the other side of the city. Casey lifted a glass of champagne from a passing server. There was a string quartet playing in the corner of the room. Her Dad's business had as it had done for several years hired a function suit at the four seasons. Canapes, champagne and fireworks to be viewed from the roof terrace at midnight. She hope to be long away by then.

"Casey sweetheart." Her mom approached her with a hug. The older blonde wearing a gold coloured dress which suited their tanned complexion. "Did you have a good Christmas? Where's Xander?"

"I didn't think Dad would want me bringing them along."

"Yeah you're probably right. Have you two?"

"Mom." Casey reddened.

"Ahh so you have. Good. I'm glad that you've found someone who makes you happy."

"What's Dad going to think about it?"

"I'll deal with your father dear."