Three

"So I see you got landed with a dyke. If she tries anything just tell me." Hunter said as they walked away from the door. Taking his partner's hand.

"Hunt, we've spoken about this. I don't like it when you use language like that. They're nice actually. Quite funny. We share the same birthday, how weird is that?"

"Sounds like you've got to know each other pretty quickly." His tone was accusatory.

"What so now I'm not allowed to try and get to know the person I'm sharing a room with for the next year." Casey shook her head. "And they are not a she. They're non-binary so if you could maybe..."

"Fuck sake, so you got a complete weirdo then. That explains why it dresses like a bloke then." He laughed.

"Hunter. Stop your being mean. If you keep this up I'm going home."

"Sorry."

Casey could tell that he didn't mean it. She'd been with Hunter Johnson for about eighteen months. He was her Dad's business partner's son and they met at the company bbq pretty much the entire time they were growing up but ended up chatting a few years ago, which led to them dating.

Casey knew her family were delighted. They loved Hunter probably more than she did. She guessed they probably had the wedding planned for just after her graduation. She liked him; he was mostly kind and he looked after her. But she'd read so many romance stories and watched enough films to hope that love was something that blew you away. Hunter didn't do that,  because she had a confused lust for love. She seemed stuck but he was good looking, had plans for the future - she could do worse but she hoped more feelings would come back. She knew he'd expect sex tonight and quietly dreaded that too.

"Penny for them." He smiled down at her.

"Just thinking about tonight."

"Yeah it's been a while," he raised his eyebrows suggestively, "we could skip the party and just head back to mine."

"That's not what I meant." The blonde said. "Just about meeting all you college friends and things, just a bit nervous."

"Now you're just being stupid. It'll be fine."

That was another thing she disliked he never really paid any interest in how she might actually be feeling.

He walked her into the small college bar to a jeer from his mates.

Across campus Xander stood trying not to be nervous at the door to the soccer team's house. They supposed on some level it was like a sorority, but tried to eject that idea from their mind.

"Yes." An attractive redhead opened the door with a beer in her hand. "Do you have the password?"

Xan smiled, "bruin's brewin"

"You'd better come in." The redhead smiled. "I'm Ainsley."

"Xander."

"Well can I get you a drink Xander?"

"Guess one beer won't hurt." They followed the red haired girl through to a large living area. There was basketball on the tv and music playing.

"This is Xander." Ainsley shouted.

Few of the girls looked around and a couple of them gave a wave. "Xander, as in Xander Hurricane Hopkins?" A tall brunette with her hair tied back in a tight ponytail asked.

Xan smiled at least someone knew who they were. "Yeah."

"Hopkins." They turned to see "Sarah Jones." An old adversary from the school league.

"Jonesy."

"Well looks like we'll be on the same team for a change. Save you struggling to catch me." The short haired blonde gave them the once over.

"Only in your dreams did you manage to outrun me." Xander smirked.

"Oooo" fighting talk Ainsley said, "I guess we'll see who makes the starting 11 of the first team first."

Sarah and Xander smiled at each other through an intense stare.

"You know if you two just want to fuck and get it over with there's a spare room upstairs." Ponytail laughed.

Xander laughed although there had always been this weird tension anytime they'd run into the blonde.

"So Hopkins, tell us where you are from?" Ponytail asked.

"Hey so Jase has just been on the phone.  The boys team is going to the freshers party." Ainsley shouted at the whole group. "Said we'd join them, so drink up gents." She laughed and then smiled at Xander. Who grinned back checking out the redhead.

She's this year's captain. Ponytail said with a grin. "I'm Rose, I keep goals for the first team. If you're interested, go for it but she's a bit of a player."

"That's okay. So am I." Xander smirked.

Rose laughed. "I think I'm going to like you. Not like that though I have a boyfriend."

Xander just laughed, "gutted." They already knew that Rose could turn out to be a good friend. For tonight though they had decided that either Ainsley or Sarah was going home with them tonight.

About thirty minutes later Xander rounded up the rear of the squad as they entered the club that was hosting the freshers party. It was packed. The music was blaring and the dance floor was bouncing. Xander carefully followed the team they met up with the men's team and a few of the players moved over and sat with what Xan assumed was their partners.

They stood with Rose at the bar. "So does your partner go here?"

"No, he's a farmer. He works for his Dad. I'm from a small town near San Diego. So I won't see him again 'til thanksgiving."

"Must be hard." Xander smiled. "I'm from Missouri also a farmers kid. But you must miss him."

"Yeah but that's what FaceTime is for," the goalkeeper raised her eyebrows and laughed.

The freshman knew exactly what the brunette meant.

"Hey." Xander turned to see a smiling Casey, "you decided to come."

"Yeah here with the team." They replied moving the floppy hair behind their ear again as the smiled at the blonde. "Can I get you a drink?"

"Only if you're going to spend time with me and my mates."

"Okay," they couldn't resist letting their green eyes wander again. "I'll come and say hello. What can I get you?"

Casey moved forward and whispered, "surprise me." Into the brunette's ear. "Wow you smell incredible."

"Thank you. I guess." Xander grinned.

"Smells are like one of my top things." Casey was pretty drunk as she tried to say what she meant.

The soccer player handed the blonde a drink and carried their own Dr. Pepper following the blonde towards the group of girls that were in the flat earlier.

"This is Xander."

"Yeah we met her earlier." A short black haired woman insisted and turned back to the group.

"I know I just thought, never mind what I thought."

"Sorry my school mates are arseholes."

"It's okay I won't hold it against you. I'll let you get on with your night. I'll just head back to the team."

By the time they got back to the group they had come out with Jones and Ainsley were literally eating each other's face, it looked messy and very unappealing. Xander decided it wasn't their night and decided to head home. She searched for Casey on the way out, catching a glimpse of her with Hunter. His hands grabbed at her bum while they danced.

It was a little after 3am when they awoke to the sound of Casey returning to the flat she heard a male voice too. Great. They put on headphones and turned the music up loud. The last thing they needed was to hear the sounds of mundane straight sex from the other bedroom.