Forty-Four

The autumn months became winter ones. Not that you'd notice much in California. Xander's mom was arriving next week and as much as they wanted to see Marilyn and Jean, they couldn't stay in town much longer.

They hadn't heard a thing from Casey in the last three weeks and had avoided the courtyard at anytime that there would be a chance that they may bump into them. They started packing the apartment up last week putting things back in the dusty boxes where they belonged.

Dawn had tried their door a few times and they'd broke their heart listening to the six year old shout on them to kick a ball about. They'd called Ainsley and planned to escape to England for Christmas. They'd asked to be freed from their contract at the end of the year. Truth is they'd not been playing good soccer and the head coach agreed. They would rent somewhere on the other side of the city when they got back from the winter break. Away from here. Away from Casey and Dawn.

Worthless. Disappointing. They were the words that replayed in their head. But as they packed their travel bag for the last away game of the year. They knocked over the set of keys that had been delivered yesterday. They didn't want them. Ally had been right, maybe they should listen to their sister more often. Things always did turn out bad.

They put the keys in an envelope and sat down on the edge of the sofa they were back using as a bed. They looked through the boxes for anything to write on. They found an old invite. And decided to use the back of that.

Casey,

I know you probably won't be pleased to hear from me. But I am leaving soon so I'll be out of your life for good. I guess our story was always meant to be a tragic one.

The keys are for the house that was for sale, the big one that sits away from the rest, with the pool just like the place you grew up in. I hope you and Dawn use it. Kirsteen had said that if we lived together as a family and with your agreement made an arrangement for joint guardianship of Dawn he wouldn't have been able to win. Not that you need to worry about that anymore, now that I'm out of your life.

I wish you both all the happiness in the world and you love.

Xan

A teardrop splashed on the still drying ink causing it to pool and run slightly but it was legible.

They folded the invite over and squeezed it into the envelope with the keys. To what was meant to be their family home. They put the hold-all over their shoulder and lifted their wallet and passport. They could fly to London from New York after the game. They took a look at the empty apartment . Wiped their face and stepped out into the sun.

They took a glance at Casey's apartment as they walked. The place that offered so much warmth, hope and love for a few months. Soulmate eh they thought to themselves. Trying not to cry they put sunglasses on to hide the pain from passing pedestrians. They stopped at the archway and posted the envelope through.

Maybe next time. Maybe next time we'll be happy. They walked away from the complex, looking back once. The team bus would leave for the airport in about an hour. They picked up their pace as they walked on to what they assumed would be the next chapter of their life.

"Xander." They heard the voice behind them. "Hurricane." They tears stung their already reddened eyes as they pretended they didn't hear. "Why don't you play with me anymore? Did I do something wrong?"

"No" they turned and lowered themselves to the small blonde's height. "I did. So I have to go away now. Because it makes me sad to not see you or your mom anymore. I'm sorry Dawn." They opened their arms and embraced the girl. "I will always love you and think about you. Keep up the soccer and be good for your mom okay"

"I don't want you to go."

"I have to kiddo."

"Mom's sad too. She says she isn't but I hear her crying at night time, when she thinks I'm sleeping."

Xander nodded. "I have to go get on the bus. We're going to New York to play tomorrow. You look after your mom okay." The soccer player planted a soft kiss on the top of the blonde's head and stood up. They picked up the pace and headed for the bus.

Across town Casey was getting her bag together to head home for the day. One of her colleagues popped in. "That you done?"

"Yeah, it's been a long day." Casey rubbed the bridge of her nose. Her eyes and body were tired from weeks of not sleeping right. She hadn't had a decent night's rest since she'd broken up with Xander.

"You still not sleeping?"

"No. I didn't think I'd miss them this much."

"It gets better you know and you know you made the right decision."

Casey wasn't sure anymore she missed the brunette being at home and their smile, the way they comforted her. Their kiss, touch and the way they loved her. "Yeah. I know. It's just hard. Dawn misses them too. But you're right I went eight years without them and eighteen before that. I'll get there." The blonde lifted her bag.

"Well if you want, remember we're all going out Friday, maybe a good drink will help."

Casey smiled, "I'll keep that in mind."

She walked along the corridor and down the rear central stairs to the front door. As she approached her car she heard an all to familiar voice call on her.

"Casey!"

She looked round with the scowl already present on her face. "What you doing here and what do you want?"

"That a great way to greet the father of your child." Hunter smarted.

"Yeah you mean the one you've had nothing to do with for almost six years. You got your money, and we've broken up so you don't have to worry about Xander, being a better parent than you ever were."

"Well I'm glad it's not corrupting my offspring anymore. Don't want her growing up a deviant like them. Yeah about the letter, you never got back to me about the settlement, so I'm guessing you want your day in court."

"Fuck you. I know they gave you money."

Hunter pressed his lips together and shook his head.

"$4.5 million."

"Holy fuck they would have went to that. I only asked for two but she never paid up. Got a shitty letter back from its lawyer saying that in no way were they going to make a settlement."

"I don't believe you, you're just here looking for even more. You're unbelievable."

"No seriously babe I didn't get a cent."

"Don't babe me and you'll not be getting any money from me either." Casey walked away.

"You'll be hearing from my lawyer sweetheart just wait." He shouted after the blonde.

Casey sat in the drivers seat bemused. If Xan hadn't paid him off... her heart crumbled. She knew she'd really made a mess of it. She also knew that she needed to speak to Xander. She needed to try and fix it.