Forty-two

The couple had been enjoying life together for the last month. Xander had only been home a handful of times and the only other nights they spent away were when they were playing soccer in other states.

They had gotten themselves into a new relationship of dating and enjoying each other but also a domestic routine of enjoying dinner as a family unit and taking Dawn on family days out.

Xander smiled as they collected the mail for both themself and Casey from the boxes at the gated entrance and was looking forward to the greeting they had been accustomed to at home. They acknowledged that that was how it felt like they were home. A running rib bruising hug from Dawn and a loving embrace from Casey, with a lingering peck and sometimes an appreciative ass grab.

They scanned through their mail as they walked to the blonde's apartment. A postcard from their mom was the highlight. Apparently her and Jean were in New Mexico and working their way up to California for the winter. They smiled, glad that their mom had found companionship and love, they still couldn't get their head round the idea that there was probably sex too so they just left it as company, love and friendship.

Xander opened the door. It was Casey's work from home day. No Dawn? They thought that was funny but as Casey shouted at them to come through to the bedroom they followed the instruction. The soccer player opened the door to find their partner in a black silk corset, a very flimsy G string and knee high PVC boots.

"Welcome home! Juls has taken all the kids for dinner so..." she raised her eyebrows suggestively.

"So" the brunette smirked as they found themselves biting on their bottom lip. They didn't need to be invited twice. As they left the mail on the dresser and strode over to the blonde, taking them in their arms and kissing their neck.

Two hours later Xander headed for a shower and Casey got dressed to make some supper for them both, they had worked up something of an appetite.

"Your posts there." Xander shouted as they almost knocked the envelopes to the floor as they headed to the bathroom.

As always after a session Xander would check the bites that Casey left on their skin. They had new marks, yesterday's marks and older marks from earlier in the week or month all now at different stages of yellowing bruises. They shook their head as they thought about the absolute ribbing they'd get from their teammates: are you dating a vampire? But xander appreciated every single mark as a sign of love and lust and recalled how good it felt at the time.

By the time Xander had changed into their sleepwear and wandered from the bedroom to the kitchen they found the blonde sitting on a barstool, holding a letter and crying.

"Babe what's up?"

Casey handed the letter over to the brunette but didn't say anything.

The soccer player started reading a lawyer's letter. "He can't do that?"

"He can. I can't. I can't live without her."

"Yeah I know but, he's not got a chance of custody, he's not seen her in years."

"He's citing exposure to unnatural lifestyles and child protecting,"

Xander gulped, they felt the knot start to form in their gut. "Me, it's because of me?"

Casey looked up, catching her partner's eyes. She said nothing.

Xander nodded, "this isn't happening." They shook their head while the tears started to well in their eyes. Casey still remained silent.  "Do you want me to go?"

"I think it might be for the best. Until I can work this out."

"I see, you don't want to try to work it out together?"

"I just need sometime."

"Okay. I'll head home. Say hello to Dawn when she gets in from me and tell her I love her."

"Xander, I love you. I'm not running away again, I just need a bit of time with it all."

"Let me help." The brunette moved toward the blonde.

"What can you do?"

"Well I can start by just being here. We're a team." They held the blonde close, feeling them let go against their chest, stroking their hair and comforting them with words and tender kisses on the top of their head.

"Can I see the letter?" The soccer player asked as Casey sat up and pulled away from the embrace.

"Yeah" the blonde handed over the envelope.

Xander remained silent head down and reading. Casey watched and noticed the brunette facial features harden. Eventually they looked up, their green eyes sad and angry, "I'm sorry that this happened because I am the way I am."

"I love you and understand you. You don't need to apologize for being who you are to anyone." Casey said strongly. "But this," she pointed at the letter, " is going to cause a lot of pain for Dawn and us."

"Would you mind if I shared it with my lawyer?"

"No. Why do you have a lawyer though?" The blonde looked confused.

"Contracts and endorsements, I always double check that I'm not signing my life away." Xander tried to lighten the mood. "She does all of that stuff for me, but she's part of a big firm so... I'm sure that she'll be able to help or get one of her colleagues to."

"Xan, I'm sorry I overreacted and asked you to leave."

"It's okay, but we will do things together from now on. We're a team, a family." 

"Thank you, for not letting me push you away again."

"Come here." Xander opened their arms.

The blonde stood up and was engulfed in the safety and love the brunette provided.

"I love you Casey Hollinger and you don't get rid of me that easily. I've got you and Dawn and nobody's gonna hurt you, not on my watch."

The blonde smiled as she held onto Xander's muscled body feeling their strong tattooed arms hold them even closer.