Eighteen

"How are you feeling?" Xander asked as they dropped Casey's hand as she felt the blonde stir again whatever pain meds they had given her made her very groggy.

"Better, no wait a minute. Oh god I'm going to be sick." The blonde's breathing changed and she felt warm and sweaty. Her skin had become puce.

Xander stepped out of the curtain and grabbed a sick bowl from a counter. They returned to the bedside and passed the bowl to Casey, while they sat on the edge of the bed and stroked the blonde's back while the law student vomited.

"Good." A young doctor said as they drew close to the bed "that will be your body's reaction to medication. It will start to lift soon. Do you mind?" The doctor asked Xander.

They stood up without questioning, "can someone come get me in the waiting area when you're done?"

The doctor nodded.

"So she's doing all the right things, sitting by your bed, holding your hand while you sleep, comforting you while you're vomiting. But we need the truth now. She's not your partner. She couldn't tell us anything about the physical nature of your relationship. So?"

Casey gulped, "no they are my college roommate."

The doctor nodded, "do you have a regular partner?"

"Yes."

"And are you sexually active?"

"Yes"

"When was the last time you had sex?"

"Monday night."

"Okay can you tell me is intercourse painful?"

"Not usually, but a bit more so recently and it was was really sore on Monday."

"Do you use protection?"

"I take the contraceptive pill."

"And your boyfriend uses a condom?"

"Not usually no, your not going to tell me that I've lost a baby are you?" Casey felt sick at the thought.

"No. I'm going to tell you that we suspect that you have Chlamydia. "I need to do an internal scrape. But I think you need to speak to your boyfriend and anyone else you have been sexually active with over the last 3-4 weeks.

"No one." Casey felt like crying.

As the doctor moved her into position for the procedure she felt the first of the tears well and escaped. She was humiliated and she felt ashamed, dirty. She felt the cold lubricant on her core and a speculum being gently inserted inside.

"You're okay, sweetheart" she felt a reassuring hand on her shoulder. She hadn't noticed when the nurse had joined. Casey gripped the edge of the bed and tried not to scream as the doctor took a sample. The cramping was intense.

"All done." The doctor sat up. "We'll send the sample away just to rule out anything more serious. In the meantime, you're going to have to talk to your boyfriend."

"My fiancé." Casey muttered quietly as the doctor left the cubicle.

"Cut his dick off honey. Now do you want me to go get your friend?"

"No, tell them to go home. I don't want to see them." Casey shook her head.

"She's been here all night with you, do you know that, I actually thought she was your partner. It was clear to everyone she loves you."

"I can't. They're not right for me."

Xander stood on the opposite side of the curtain. They stood still for a moment chewing on the inside of their cheek. Before turning and heading back to the waiting area and leaving the emergency department.

"I mean" Casey said to the nurse, "they're too good for me. I think I love them too. But it's a mess and they'll never want me now." She started to cry.

When Casey returned to the flat a few hours later Xander was in their room making a lot of noise. She knocked the open door and notices the brunette had packed.

"I was hoping to get away before you came back."

"You're leaving?"

"There's a spare room in the team house."

"Why?"

"Because I can't live with you anymore. I heard you..."

"... I was right then. I had expected better from you. Tell you what just fuck off." The blonde left
Xander speechless, wondering why any of this was their fault.

It would be another ten days before they laid eyes on each other. The soccer team were having Christmas drinks on the Friday before they broke up for winter recess. Xander was there with their arm wrapped around Holly. When they spotted the blonde stumble into the bar with the group of witches she called her friends.

The soccer player watched as the group ordered a round of shots and gave the already overly intoxicated blonde another drink. Holly watched the brunette as their eyes followed the blonde.

Xander shook her head, "can't they see she's wasted already."

"Xan, can we get some air?" The strawberry blonde smiled. Taking the winger by the hand and leading them to the exit. When they got outside, Holly let their hand go. "I am going to say a few things and I want you to listen until I'm finished before you say anything. I know you have feelings for Casey. I think your lying to yourself about getting over them. You talk about her all the time. You haven't been able to take your eyes off her since she got into the pub. I like you, you're fun and smart. Sex is amazing but if we're being honest we're not going anywhere.

"You know I'm going home to my husband for Christmas and you've not even brought it up, like you're pretending that he doesn't exist. But I love him and I'm starting to fall for you. So this is where it ends. You can't share and you are totally in love with her. So the best present I can give you is this advice, go get her or actually get over her."

"I'm sorry Hol, I didn't mean to hurt you."

"I know, but you can't help who you love. I hope you sort it." Holly leaned in and gave the brunette a tender peck on the lips. "It's better for me too before I completely fall for you. You could never handle poly. Goodbye Xander."

"Yeah you take care of yourself."

The soccer player walked back into the pub.

"Where's Hol?" Ainsley asked.

"Away home. It's over."

"Shit babe, didn't think she was the type to avoid getting the wifey a Christmas pressie." The redhead smirked.

"No, it's fine. She's going back to her husband for Christmas. But she gave me a present." Xander was watching as the group of girls were coaxing Casey to dance with a stranger. "Have a great Christmas mate, I'm going to take her home." The brunette pointed at Casey.

"Seriously. You're never going to learn are you."

"No." Xander smiled. "She'll probably make me hate myself in the next half hour for being such a sop but..."

Ainsley shook her head.