[85. The Anchor]

[5x06; Handle with Care]

The evening air was cool, refreshing after a long summer season, and the gentle breeze that had been appearing every so often that day drifted through the windows of Silas' room. Lucilla was fully at peace, it was impossible not to be from her place in Silas' arms, both of them cuddled together on the silk sheets that he had recently commissioned. His fingertips lightly stroked her arm in a calming cadence and she was on the verge of sleep.

"Lu?"

Lucilla tilted her head upward, slowly opening her eyes to look upon Silas' face. "Hmm?"

He smiled lazily at her, his green eyes glittering in the candlelight. "I truly do love you. You're the best part of me and I adore the time I spend with you."

"I love you, Silas," Lucilla pressed her smiling lips to his in a quick kiss before pulling back and placing a palm on his cheek. "I wish I could be with you all the time, my love."

"That is my very wish," Silas' lips quirked into an excited smile. "After my father dies and I inherit the estate, I shall buy your freedom from Bennett and we shall run away together."

"You are engaged to be married to Qetsiyah," Lucilla reminded him, voice soft from the sadness she felt when she thought about her love's engagement to her friend, and the woman who, by birthright, owned her. Quickly following the sadness came the wave of guilt that she felt every time she saw Qetsiyah's face. "She loves you."

"I do not love her," Silas stressed, adjusting so that he could kiss the palm of her hand that tenderly held his face. "The wedding is planned for next summer and my father is too sick to make it that long. We shall leave and find another community filled with magic and we shall get married and have beautiful children to carry on our names."

Lucilla felt tears prickle at the corner of her eyes. "That sounds beautiful, Silas."

"Tell me that you believe that I will do this for us," Silas stated, looking firmly into her eyes.

But did she believe in his plan? Her first instinct was to say that no, she didn't. Atlas Bennett would never give her freedom, nor sell her to Silas and even if they did run away to another magical community, she would be ostracized for her siphoning abilities there as well. Truly, her greatest dream aligned with his, but if she was being realistic, how could she allow herself to dream?

And there was the matter of her not deserving said dream. The thought of betraying Qetsiyah more than she already was made her stomach curl. Qetsiyah, while abrasive, was truly her friend who treated her with kindness. She was very lucky in that regard, as many other mistresses throughout the community were not as nice. Could she run away with her only friend's fiance?

Ultimately, she knew in her heart that it didn't matter. She loved Silas and would do anything to be with him. From the moment he had set his attention on her, she had fallen in love with him, his actions, and his words. There wasn't anything that she wouldn't do for him