[32. Elijah's Intentions]

[2x14; Crying Wolf]

[2x14; Crying Wolf]

"Up, like that," Alaric critiqued as Lucy rearranged her hand into a fist and aimed it toward his open palm. "Make sure your thumb is outside your fist. Okay, go again."

Lucy wheezed heavily and forced another punch to Alaric's hand, doing it the same way that he had taught her. Along with the punching lessons, Alaric forced her to run a mile at his side. Now she felt like she was going to die and she was possibly regretting the fact that she asked Alaric for help.

But she had to know how to defend herself. She couldn't just rely on magic all the time—magic that she didn't really have...

"Okay, let's take a break," Alaric suggested, noticing how red and sweaty her face was; Lucy slumped in relief and braced herself, resting her hands on her knees. "Not bad, Luce."

Lucy scoffed, disappointed in herself. Ever since the cheerleading squad was put on hold after Mr. Tanner died, she hadn't been exercising like she should have been. She was desperately out of shape for a cheerleader.

"I'm out of shape," she shook her head. "I used to be able to run a mile easily. Look at me now."

"Don't be hard on yourself. No one's perfect," Alaric patted her shoulder and handed her a bottle of water. "A little more work and you'll be back in shape."

"Hopefully."

"To be honest, I'm glad you came to me," Alaric admitted somewhat sheepishly. "Damon told me about what happened last night. I don't want to overstep, but...I want you to be more careful. I worry about you."

Lucy smiled at Alaric, unable to describe the way she was feeling. Ever since she found out that Alaric was her birth father, she had been worried that he was going to try to take her dad's place but that hadn't been the case. Alaric had always been respectful to the roles that Grayson and Miranda had in her life and Lucy really appreciated it.

Lucy was glad that Alaric was in her life because she knew how much he loved her, even if they had only known each other for a few months. He was beginning to be a parent to her just as much as Grayson, Miranda, and even Jenna.

"You're not overstepping. I appreciate you looking out for me," Lucy assured him as he returned her smile. "And I want to be more careful, too. That's why I want to learn to protect myself. I can't rely on magic I don't even have. I don't want to be the damsel in distress."

Alaric nodded, impressed. There weren't many people in her position who would ask for help and take charge of their own safety. It was important to both of them that Lucy could protect herself, so he would teach her.

"Then we won't stop practicing until you can throw a mean right hook," Alaric declared, laying an encouraging hand on Lucy's shoulder. "I used to get into bar fights in college, I know a little something about brawling."