[83. Memorial]

[5x04; For Whom the Bell Tolls]

"You left Stefan with Damon and Elena?" Caroline screeched from the speaker of Lucy's phone. "I thought you were smarter than that, Luce."

"I didn't want to," Lucy sighed. "but they pretty much insisted and after my failure of trying to siphon the spell him—which did not go well, by the way—I was put on grimoire duty and trying to get a hold of Bonnie. And that is also not going well."

"I'll try her, too," Caroline volunteered. "Have Damon or Elena given you any updates?"

"I've received one update so far," she reported to her best friend. "and it said 'so far, so good.' And that was Damon who sent it, so that means..."

"It means that they probably devoured a troop of Girl Scouts while Elena gave them a disapproving glare," Caroline finished her sentence; Lucy scoffed lightly in agreement. "Well, is Joel with them?"

"He's working until one, but then he's gonna join them at the Grill. I might join him."

"Okay," Caroline hummed. "Well, I did a little research for you and Stefan. Did you know it's not uncommon for patients with retrograde amnesia or other traumatic brain injuries to turn volatile?"

Lucy smiled, impressed. "No, I didn't. Wow, Care, it sounds like you did more than a little research."

"I may have studied up on my chem, biochem, applied microbio, molecular bio, and Grey's Anatomy—the real one and the television show."

"You are the best person that has ever lived, Caroline Elizabeth," Lucy's heart melted; she loved her best friend so damn much. "I'm sure Stefan will really appreciate that you did that all for him.

"Well, you two are my best friends. And you're also my favorite couple in the whole wide world," Caroline giggled. "But I'm also trying to impress Dr. Maxfield."

"That's your applied microbio professor, right?"

"Mmhm. I figured if I could get closer to him and into his biology class, maybe I could figure out why he covered up our roommate's murder by vampire," Caroline whispered into the phone; Lucy realized that it was because she was walking through one of the school buildings because she could hear voices that weren't Caroline's. "and it's also possible that I have a study buddy."

"Oh, really?"

Caroline didn't answer her right away, but she heard her greet Dr. Maxfield and ask Jesse—yes, frat-party Jesse—if he was ready to study. Lucy gasped like it was the most scandalous thing she had ever heard. It wasn't by far—especially by Caroline.

"You're studying with Jesse?" Lucy fought back the squeal she was tempted to make. "Hot and funny frat-party Jesse? Jesse, who so happens to be Dr. Maxfield's teaching assistant and also the guy who makes come-hither eyes at you every time you happen to run into each other?"