[38. The Confession]

[2x22; As I Lay Dying]

"Does Joel like mustard?"

"Yeah."

"Pass the mustard, then."

"Passing the mustard," Lucy smirked at Caroline, pushing the bottle of mustard down the counter where she was making Joel's sandwich. "And onions."

"Ew," Caroline wrinkled her nose but sprinkled onions onto the sub. Finishing it up, she placed the top bun on and rolled it up in some paper. "Okay, next?"

"Elena's ham and cheese," Lucy answered dutifully, pushing over Elena's sub, which was waiting for condiments. "You know, we should get jobs at Subway."

"Both of us are too bossy to take orders from someone else," Caroline answered without missing a beat. "We'll have to be our own bosses someday."

Lucy nodded. "Girl bosses."

"Exactly," Caroline put some lettuce, tomato, and mayo on Elena's sub before wrapping it up. She placed all five sandwiches into the packed picnic basket and clasped it shut. "Can you bring this out to my car? I need to change."

"Sure," Lucy picked up the picnic basket and hesitated. "Thanks for doing this, Care. We all appreciate it."

"You know I'd do anything for you, babe," Caroline winked at her.

Lucy playfully clutched her chest. "Babe!"

They both giggled before setting out to do the last few tasks before they could meet up with Elena, Joel, and Jeremy at the court square. The town was having a movie day and Caroline insisted on bringing the Gilbert siblings to watch Gone with the Wind. It was one of her favorites and she was hoping that they would cheer them up a little bit.

Lucy was halfway to Caroline's car when she noticed two figures watching her. She pursed her lips angrily and set the basket on the sidewalk next to the vehicle before turning toward her brothers.

Even though they had a plan for killing Klaus, they didn't succeed. Elijah screwed them over at the last moment and sped away, dragging Klaus with him. So, not only did Klaus get away with killing Jenna—and Elena, or so he thought—but he was probably out for revenge.

Lucy wouldn't give him the satisfaction of being afraid. "What do you want?" she snapped at them. "Did you come to kill what's left of my family?"

Klaus rolled his eyes and if Lucy had the power to hurt him, she would. Did he not have any decency?

"Of course not, Luciana," Elijah said politely. "Niklaus and I have come to see how you are."

"Well, let's see. One of my brothers killed my aunt and my sister," Lucy muttered sarcastically. "And another screwed me and my friends over. I guess you could say my life is pretty screwed up, thanks. How are you?"