[33. Isobel Returns]

[2x17; Know Thy Enemy]

Mystic Falls, Around 1000 A.D.

Tears coursed down Luciana's already damp cheeks as she cradled her head in her hands. Next to her, her twin brother was passed out from exhaustion, his red face pressed against his arms as he laid on his stomach to ease the ache of the beating he took from their father, Mikael. Luciana couldn't yet fall asleep—though she envied Henrik's small state of oblivion—as she thought of the events that transpired only moments before.

It was a mistake, an accident, but Mikael did not believe his youngest children. He had taken one look at their mother, saw the shock and pain on her face, and had exploded, using his rage that he normally saved for Niklaus. He had beat them, Henrik taking the blunt of his aggressions to protect Lucy, and neither of them were in good shape.

But it was an accident. Luciana and Henrik had no intention of hurting their mother. They had no idea what was happening as their skin turned red when they hugged their mother and they felt power rush through their veins. They had no idea what was happening when Esther shouted in pain and pushed away her twins, looking at them in shock.

Luciana was confused and injured and sad that none of her siblings were able to visit them while they were in trouble. Only Esther remained in their little hut, bustling around the table with a bowl full of the usual herbs she did her magic with.

She didn't even notice when Esther finished her work and walked over to her, crouching down so she could look Luciana in the eye.

"Luciana, darling," she said quietly, reaching forward to brush the tears off of Luciana's face. "Drink this. It will help with your pain."

Luciana didn't question her mother, knowing that Esther was a powerful witch and knew many things. It was not uncommon that her mother would ply her children with pastes, drinks, and herbs that could cure any of their illnesses or injuries. She took the cup and drank the herb and water mixture, grimacing from the familiar, yet gross, taste.

Esther took her discarded cup and set it on the floor before sitting down. She maneuvered Luciana so her head was in her lap and started taking down her braid for the night. She hummed a tune as she worked, relaxing Luciana with their familiar routine.

"Mother," Luciana spoke up, her voice slurred from exhaustion. "Why did that happen? What did Henrik and I do to you?"

"It was an accident, darling," Esther said soothingly. "Do you know how Ayana and I are witches?"

"Yes."

"And how Kol has tapped into his magic?"

"Yes," Luciana replied patiently, remembering when her older brother started his lessons with Esther and Ayana.