[04. In the Know]

[1x04; Family Ties]

[1x04; Family Ties]

"I can confirm that a twelve-foot puma mountain lion attacked a hunter and was subsequently shot and killed," Sheriff Liz Forbes stated into the microphone held out to her by Logan Fell. "The hunter is in stable condition."

"To repeat, the animal terrorizing Mystic Falls has been caught," Logan Fell reported.

"Scum ball," Jenna muttered angrily as she stood next to the dining table, glaring fiercely at the television. "Scum bucket."

Lucy rolled her eyes at her aunt as Elena walked into the room, a piece of toast held loosely in her hand.

"Who are you talking to?" she asked Jenna, taking a bite of her breakfast.

"Him," Jenna gestured to the TV where Logan was still giving his report. "The news guy, also known as Logan 'Scum' Fell."

Lucy giggled at Jenna's hostility, ignoring the glare her aunt sent her way. "Did Mom ever tell you why Aunt Jenna moved away from Mystic Falls?"

"Oh, no way," Elena chuckled, understanding the situation right away. "You and him? He's cute."

Jenna looked offended at Elena's comment. "He is not cute," she disagreed strongly, glaring once again at the image of her ex-boyfriend on the screen and turning off the TV. "There's nothing cute about him."

"Uh-huh," Elena scoffed and sat down next to Lucy, looking over the box of antique jewelry that came from the Gilbert family safe deposit box in front of her. "What are you doing with that?"

"Yesterday, I went and got it from the safe deposit box," Lucy informed her sister, finishing up her task of polishing the pocket watch in her hands. "Mom had told Mrs. Lockwood she would loan it to the Founder's Committee for their heritage display."

Jenna walked closer to her nieces, leaning in between them to get a closer look. She picked up one of the rings, peering at it closely. "Is that Grandma Beth's wedding ring?"

Lucy shook her head. "Originally it was Great-Great-Grandma Mary's wedding ring."

Jenna made an impressed face and set the ring back in the box. At that moment, Jeremy walked into the room, looking interestedly at the pocket watch Lucy had just set down.

"How much do you think this stuff is worth?" he wondered, picking it up. "You know, like on E-bay?"

Elena frowned and grabbed the watch from him. "You're not gonna find out."

"That stuff is Mom and Dad's," Jeremy protested. "You can't just give it away."

Lucy sighed, taking the watch from Elena and putting it back in the box. "We're not giving it away, Jere. We're loaning it. Loan."

The doorbell rang, cutting off whatever argument was brewing between the Gilbert siblings. Elena smiled happily, knowing exactly who it was, and bounced over to the door, swinging it open. Lucy, Jenna, and Jeremy didn't plan on seeing her again for half the day.