[27. Elijah]

[2x08; Rose]

[2x08; Rose]

Stefan closed his locker and looked over at Lucy's wondering why she wasn't at school yet. She usually was there before him, trying to unlock her locker for the second or third time. Today, though, she was no where to be found.

Just as he turned to walk to class, Jeremy caught his attention as purposefully walked toward him.

"Hey, Jeremy," Stefan greeted him, joining him as he walked down the hallway.

"Look, Elena's got to let me know if I'm supposed to cover for her," Jeremy said immediately, not bothering to greet Stefan back. "I mean, Jenna's cool with the two of you but you guys are pushing it."

Stefan furrowed his eyebrows; he and Elena were still broken up and she definitely hadn't spent the night at his house. "What are you talking about?"

"You and Elena," Jeremy repeated himself. "Look, I'm glad you guys are back together, but if she's gonna sleep over, you have to let me know," he didn't notice the worried look on Stefan's face as he went on. "And have you seen Lucy? I was going to ask Caroline, but—"

"Wait, wait, wait," Stefan interrupted, cutting Jeremy off so he would stop walking. "hold on a minute. Elena and I are not back together."

Jeremy gave him a disbelieving smile. "Wait, she didn't—she didn't stay at your place last night?"

"No," Stefan shook his head. "I mean, I saw her at the party but that was it. She didn't sleep over. And I haven't seen Lucy, either," he added. "and Damon didn't mention seeing her when he went to Caroline's house."

"Their beds weren't slept in," Jeremy grew worried about his sisters. "and Mrs. Lockwood said that both of their cars were still in the driveway."

Stefan grimaced, his pulse starting to race. Both Elena and Lucy were missing the day after Damon put Katherine in the tomb? This wasn't good, especially if Katherine's blood wasn't out of Lucy's system.

"Where are they, then?" Jeremy asked Stefan worriedly

Stefan shook his head; he didn't know.

-

"This has Katherine written all over it," Stefan declared, anxiously pacing back and forth in front of Damon and Joel.

"Katherine's in the tomb," Damon disagreed. "Trust me. I'm the one who shut her in."

Stefan stopped pacing in front of Damon, looking at him seriously. "Did you?"

"Did I what, Stefan?"

"Well, I know the hold that Katherine has on you," Stefan said matter-of-factly.

Damon narrowed his eyes at his brother. "She's in the tomb. Period. End of story..." he hesitated for a moment before adding, "But she did say something to me right before I shut her in. I thought she was lying."