[43. Rebekah]

[3x05; The Reckoning]

"I know you said that you didn't want to do this but this is a rite of passage, okay?" Caroline nudged Lucy with her elbow, balancing ten sleeves of paper cups in her arms. "Besides, maybe it will distract you from what's going on."

Lucy shrugged as they entered the school for senior prank night, a box of mousetraps in her hands. "Nothing's going on, Carebear."

Caroline gave her a look of disbelief. "The guy you have a crush on is your sister's boyfriend who is a vampire currently traveling the country with your hybrid brother who's literally a thousand years old. Your sister is in denial about her boyfriend's absence and flirting up a storm with his brother. Your biological father was killed by said brother and brought back to life by a mystical ring and your younger brother is seeing the ghosts of his dead vampire girlfriends. Did I get all that right?"

"...yes."

"And you're friends-with-benefits with my ex-boyfriend."

"Okay, you said you weren't mad about that," Lucy reminded Caroline as they set their things down in the gym where more of their classmates wandered around; Caroline just winked at her. "And you have a lot going on, too, Care."

"Exactly!" Caroline poked Lucy's left dimple, causing her to flinch away, giggling. "My dad tortured me because I'm a vampire and can't be compelled. I need this prank night, okay?"

"The only reason I'm here is for you," Lucy pointed out, wrapping an arm around Caroline's shoulders. "Now, where are our friends?"

"Right there," Caroline grinned, nodding to Elena, Bonnie, and Tyler as they walked into the gym. She grabbed Lucy's arm and the box of mousetraps, tugging her over to them. "Come on!"

Tyler greeted Caroline with a kiss while Lucy hugged Elena and Bonnie, glad that the witch was finally home from a summer-long vacation with her dad's family.

"We've got mousetraps," Lucy explained. "Care wants to set them up in Mr. Cassidy's room."

"He only gave me a ninety last year so he deserves it," Caroline explained. "Let's go. There's so much to do."

The group of friends followed Caroline to the English hallway, entering Mr. Cassidy's room at the blonde's insistence. They immediately set to work, placing down mousetraps in a complicated pattern around the desks. They covered every inch of the floor where someone could walk. As soon as Mr. Cassidy would open the door the mousetraps would go off, shocking the man.

Their prank worked but it wasn't Mr. Cassidy that made it go off—it was Matt.

"Oh, come on!" Caroline exclaimed as Matt opened the door and the hundreds of mousetraps went off. "Seriously? Do you know how long it took for us to set all this up?"

Lucy looked at the time on her phone—it took almost two whole hours.

A sweaty Matt looked around the room in shock as Lucy, Elena, and Bonnie got to their feet.