[17. Uncle John Returns]

[1x18; Under Control]

"No, I'm missing my keys!" Lucy moaned, moving things around on the table in the foyer as she tried to find her keychain. "Jenna, help!"

Lucy was too busy freaking out about her keys that she didn't even notice that Jenna had them in her hand and was holding them out to her.

"Would you stop stressing out?" Elena sighed, taking the keys from Jenna, grabbing Lucy's hand, and firmly setting the keys in them. Lucy gave her a thankful look. "Jeremy," she called, turning toward the stairs. "We have school! Come on!"

"I have too much to do," Lucy complained, picking up the heavy binder full of planning materials. The Founder's Day Kick-off Party was the next night and the Miss Mystic Falls pageant was the week after that so the Planning Committee was spread pretty thin. Mrs. Lockwood was in drill sergeant mode and Lucy was pretty sure she'd been having nightmares about her. "Okay, I'm ready. Jere, we're walking out the door now!"

As Lucy and Elena turned to the door, Jenna picked up the thermos Elena set down and handed it to her. "Don't forget this!" she said hurriedly.

Elena sighed gratefully. "Thank you!"

Lucy opened the door and stopped in her tracks when she saw who was on the other side of the threshold. Her uncle, John Gilbert, was standing in front of them, his hand in the air to knock.

John slowly lowered his fist and smiled at his nieces.

"Elena, Lucy!" he exclaimed.

"Uncle John!" Elena said, far less enthusiastic.

"Hi," Lucy greeted him simply.

She didn't necessarily hate John but she didn't like him, either. He was the asshole of the family who only showed up maybe twice a year. The last time Lucy heard from him was in a birthday card she received; the last time she saw him was at her parents' funeral. He hadn't stepped foot into town since then—and he only lived twenty minutes away from Whitmore.

John nodded, grin still in place, and looked behind them, where Jenna was scowling. "Jenna."

"John," Jenna said in contempt. "You made it."

"I said I'd be in by noon," John stepped past Lucy and Elena into the house, shrugging off his jacket.

Jenna pursed her lips, annoyed. "Well, what you say and what you do are typically two very different things."

"Uncle John," Jeremy called out as he came down the stairs, backpack slipped over his left shoulder. "What's up?"

"Hey," John watched Jeremy carefully as he patted his shoulder and walked out the door.

Lucy gave her little brother a sympathetic look; it'd been two weeks since Vicki's body was found and her death was ruled an overdose. She felt so guilty for lying to Matt and Jeremy about the whole situation.