[29. Plan Gone Wrong]

[2x10; The Sacrifice]

Luciana knelt down on the ground, the long grass prickling at her shins through the thin fabric of her dress. She dutifully watched her older sister, Rebekah, ground up some stalks of wheat into a stone bowl so that their mother could use it to bake bread over the fire later on that night. Rebekah didn't look happy to be doing the task, she'd rather be with their brothers, hunting for the family's dinner.

"Why are you so down, Rebekah?" Luciana asked, grabbing a stalk and rolling it between her fingers.

"Father forbid me to join the others for the hunt," Rebekah grumbled, her blue eyes narrowing.

"Why?"

Rebekah looked at her eight-year-old sister, knowing that she didn't see how women were treated differently by men because of her young age. Even if Luciana wasn't allowed the same privileges of Henrik, her twin brother, she didn't yet notice.

"Because I am a woman," Rebekah explained with a sigh. "As are you. As women, we will not have the same freedoms that our brothers may have. We are to be wives, mothers, and maids. Nothing more."

Luciana frowned. "That does not sound fair."

Rebekah scoffed and stood, picking up the bowl of ground wheat. "Life is not fair, Luciana." She grabbed her sister's hand, pulling her into a standing position. "We live in a man's world. Come now, Mother will be expecting us."

Lucy shifted restlessly, trying to find a comfortable spot on the old quilt she had laid on the ground. It was almost six in the morning when she had woken up from a dream where a younger version of herself was talking with a beautiful blonde teenage girl named Rebekah and she decided to take some time to herself for the day. Her decision led her to Steven's Quarry.

Peace and quiet allowed her to think about the newest memory added to her collection. This memory was added to the Luciana section, her first life. She didn't know exactly when she lived as Luciana, but she could tell it was a long, long time ago. Years before her life as Lucia Petrova. This memory also happened to be in the same time period as her memory with Elijah took place, so Lucy concluded that this had to be another one of her siblings.

She wondered just how many siblings she had in her first life—Rebekah had mentioned their brothers—and if they were vampires like Elijah.

"You know, people carry phones for a reason."

Lucy lazily turned her head toward the sky, staring straight up at Stefan's face as he stood over her. His expression was stern and disapproving, his forest-green eyes worried, and his hands clamped down on his hips.

"I left my phone at home," Lucy sighed; she leaned on her elbows to stare at Stefan as he walked around her and sat down on the other end of the quilt. "I figured that people would take a hint, but..."