[19. Jonathan Gilbert's Invention]

[1x20 + 1x21; Blood Brothers + Isobel]

"So, Isobel is supposedly here?" Lucy asked Damon and Alaric from the backseat of Alaric's car, looking out the window to stare at what Grove Hill had to offer. "And you know this because you checked my uncle's phone records?"

Lucy had been in the middle of writing an essay for her English class when Damon called her, telling her that he and Alaric were picking her up for a road trip. It was only when she was situated in Alaric's car that they explained to her that they were checking out a house in Grove Hill where they tracked a number that kept calling John.

"I didn't check them, my college buddy did," Alaric corrected her, turning down the road they were looking for. "And we don't exactly know that it's Isobel."

"Lovely," Lucy sighed, wondering why she agreed to go with them.

"Oh, cheer up, buttercup," Damon turned around and grinned at her. "It's better than babysitting Stefan."

Lucy didn't reply; she didn't want to think about Stefan torturing himself in the cellar of his house. It'd been a week since she drugged him with vervain and even though the human blood was gone from his system—according to Damon—he insisted on being locked up and was refusing to eat. Lucy had been to see him a couple times but the silence between them was deafening and made the guilt she was feeling increase.

"This is the one," Alaric said, parking on the curb in front of a modest, two-story house.

Lucy, Damon, and Alaric got out of the vehicle and walked up the sidewalk leading up to the house.

"The records show this was paid three months in advance," Alaric informed Lucy and Damon.

"This is where it gets tricky," Damon admitted as they came to a stop at the door; he knocked. "I may or may not be able to get in."

"Yeah, how does that work?" Alaric asked, giving Damon a curious look. "You always have to be invited in?"

"By the owner or the person of entitlement," Damon explained. "Short-term rentals and hotels are a bit of a gray area. You kind of gotta play it by ear."

Alaric scoffed as Damon impatiently grabbed the door knob, twisting it so the lock would break.

"Could we not kill anyone tonight, please?" Alaric asked Damon.

"That sounds like a good idea," Lucy agreed.

"You mean you just brought me along for my company?" Damon muttered sarcastically. He broke the lock and swung the door open, allowing Lucy and Alaric to walk into the house.

Lucy looked around, trying to see through the dark. She saw no sign of anyone, though it was tough to see.

"It doesn't look like anyone's home," she commented.