[18. Stefan's On Edge]

[1x19; Miss Mystic Falls]

It was official; she needed to read the instructions for her combination lock and not give up until she could dial in her combination correctly. It was getting to be a real chore to try to unlock her locker and at this point, it was pathetic that it took three or more tries to figure it out.

Maybe she could just get an extra-large backpack and lug around her things...

"Need some help with that?"

Lucy bit her lip to hide her smile and turned to Stefan, faking her shock. "So, the dropout returns?"

"Ha, very funny," Stefan reached over and swiftly dialed in her combination, easily opening the locker. "I'm starting to think you just like to have me around to do things for you."

"No, I'm just an idiot," Lucy rolled her eyes and grabbed her things. "Why are you back? Did you miss the boring curriculum forced onto juniors?" she gasped dramatically. "Oh, I know, it's definitely the fish sticks served in the cafeteria."

Stefan shook his head and laughed, pushing her with his shoulder. "You're so annoying," the bell rang, catching their attention. "Are you walking with me to class, or not, you goofy girl?"

"Why, Mr. Salvatore," Lucy fluttered her eyelashes with a giggle. "I would love for you to escort me to class."

"I hate you."

"Sure you do."

Lucy and Stefan walked into Alaric's classroom just before he did and took their seats amongst their classmates.

"Okay," Alaric said, shutting the door behind him. "This week we're gonna set aside our regular curriculum for a lesson in local history as we approach Founder's Day. Apparently the community leaders feel that's more important than World War II, but hey, what do I know?"

The classroom door opened and Lucy perked up when Bonnie walked in. After a month of her absence after Grams' death, Lucy was very happy to see her.

"Sorry I'm late," Bonnie apologized to Alaric, closing the door.

"Looks like we will be at full occupancy today," Alaric commented. "Welcome home, Bonnie."

Bonnie sat in the empty seat in front of Lucy, giving her a small smile; Lucy beamed back. Elena and Stefan gave Bonnie welcoming smiles, as well, but received an awkward look as she turned away from them. Lucy noticed; it looked like Bonnie wasn't over the situation of Grams' death...Lucy didn't blame her.

-

Lucy walked out of the school office and smiled as the intercom blared and the voice of the principal echoed through the school. She had just dropped off the nominees for Miss Mystic Falls which included her sister and best friend.

Unfortunately, the girls who applied for the court had to be seventeen, so Lucy couldn't sign up. She had next year to apply, though, so she wasn't losing her chance. She wanted to be Miss Mystic Falls ever since her mother told her that she was crowned once. One day, Lucy hoped to hold the title too.