[41. Take a Hike]

[3x02; The Hybrid]

[3x02; The Hybrid]

"Another suicide or a tragic accident?" one of the local news reporters asked rhetorically. "WKPW News has lost one of its shining stars. Field reporter and weekend anchor, Andie Star, was discovered dead."

Lucy frowned sadly as she ate her cereal, a picture of Damon's fake-girlfriend and one of Jenna's oldest friends flashing on screen while the reporter mourned her co-worker's death. As far as she knew, Andie wasn't one to depressed and she seemed happy with Damon, so she doubted that she killed herself. That meant something else happened last night and Lucy didn't know about it.

As Elena walked into the living room, Lucy asked her, "Hey, have you seen this?"

"Yeah," Elena mumbled sadly, sitting down next to her on the couch. "I think that's why Damon was messed up last night. Did you know he's been tracking Stefan by himself?"

"I heard whispers between him and Ric but I wasn't positive," Lucy shrugged. "Hey, where's Ric anyway? The couch wasn't slept in."

Elena shrugged. "I came home last night and he told me that he was staying at his loft. Apparently now that I'm eighteen, he doesn't need to sleep here. I'm pretty sure he thinks he's unwanted."

"I guess we'll have to make sure he knows he's wanted around here," Lucy sighed and gave Elena a small smile. "Did you at least have a little fun last night before you and Damon fought?"

"It was a great birthday despite the circumstances," Elena bit her lip and grinned. "So...you slept with Matt last night."

Lucy, who had been chewing on her frosted flakes, spat into her bowl, completely shocked at Elena's matter-of-fact statement. How had her sister even known? Matt left early in the morning because of his shift at the Grill. Oh, God...did Joel, Jeremy, and Ric know too?

"Uh...how do you even—"

"I came to see if you were asleep last night and I saw you two cuddling," Elena wiggled her eyebrows. "I didn't know you had feelings for Matt."

Lucy sighed and tapped her manicured nails on the outside of her bowl. "I don't have feelings for him. Romantic feelings, I mean," she shrugged. "We agreed this morning that it was casual sex. No strings attached."

Elena gave her a deadpan look. "You lost your virginity to one of our closest friends and you're saying there's no feelings or strings attached?"

"Yes, and don't tell Caroline, okay? I want to tell her myself..." Lucy checked her phone, sighing when she saw no missed messages. "if she answers me."

"I won't," Elena promised. "Wow, I can't believe you had sex with Matt."

"Lena!"

"Hey, I'm just saying!" she held her hands up defensively. "So, how was it?"