4. Friend, Discount, And Doctor

Beam lowered his head to protect his head with his hands from the ball attack that was coming towards him. 

The ball passed over his head and rolled towards the sea. Someone ran towards Beam in a hurry.

"Oh, I'm sorry, sir, I didn't mean to throw the ball at you. The ball slipped out of my hand," said the person who came closer to Beam in poor English and with a strange accent. 

Beam took his hands off his head and looked up. His eyes widened, as did the person in front of him. 

"Phi Beam?" 

"Nong Wayo!" 

"Oh, why are you here, nong?"  Beam was confused. 

Wayo smiled broadly, showing off his neat teeth. "Wait a minute, Phi, I have to catch my ball first." 

Wayo ran towards the sea and chased his ball which was bouncing around in the waves.  Luckily the ball was not carried far and was pushed back to shore by small waves. 

Wayo grabbed the ball and ran over to Beam who was watching him.

"Phi Beam, I didn't expect to see you here. It's really far from Thailand, right?" Wayo said cheerfully. "Are you on holiday?" 

"Yeah. I just arrived this morning. And you, what are you doing here? You're also on holiday? Is that why you bought swimming trunks?" Beam asked. 

"Yes, Phi. I'm visiting my older cousin here. She is the owner of The Light Blue hotel," answered Wayo. "I often visit her on vacation." 

"Oh? My friends and I stayed at that hotel. What an unexpected coincidence," said Beam, surprised but also happy. 

Wayo's face turned pink. "Your friends? Phi Phana?" Wayo asked. 

Beam's eyebrows rose when he saw Wayo's suddenly nervous face. He smirked. "Yes. Phana and Kit. We've been friends since childhood and it's nice to make new friends. Sometimes they're boring," said Beam with a wink. 

Wayo laughed. "You want to see the sunset? But it's a bit cloudy now," said Wayo, pointing to the horizon. "It's been raining a lot lately, so it's difficult for tourists to get a beautiful sunset." 

Beam put on his sandals and patted the back of his trousers. "I'd better go back to the hotel then. Phana will scold me if I'm gone too long. He can be as fussy as a hen losing an egg." 

Wayo smiled and walked with Beam towards the hotel.

"Are you also staying at the Blue Light hotel, Nong?" Beam asked. 

"Yes. My family and I who are visiting have a special suite on the eighth floor. Phi, which room are you staying in? I'll tell my older cousin so she can give you a discount," said Wayo enthusiastically. 

"Uh, is that okay?" Beam asked awkwardly. 

"Of course it's okay. My cousin is very rich and she owns sixteen hotels spread across several states in America. She won't go bankrupt just because ahe gave a discount to my friend," answered Wayo confidently. 

"Thanks in advance. I live in room 770," answered Beam. 

"I'll tell her later, Phi Beam. Oh yes, tomorrow afternoon there is a surfing festival opening on the east coast. You have to come, Phi, it will be very busy and many hotels around the beach will provide free food and drinks," said Wayo excitedly. 

"Ah, I want to see it," said Beam. 

"I'll take you to your room then. We can go together. Do you want to?" 

"Of course, Nong. You're very kind." 

They had arrived at the hotel lobby and a woman called Wayo from behind the reception counter. 

"Wayo, where did you go, brat? I've been looking for you for a long time!" said the beautiful woman with exotic tan skin.

"I want to take a walk for a while, Phi Ai," answered Wayo spoiledly. 

"You've just arrived this afternoon, Nong, you should be resting. Eh, who is this?" asked the woman who was called Phi Ai, pointing at Beam with a smile. 

Beam admired her exotic beauty and friendliness. 

"This is Phi Beam, my new friend. We met in Thailand four days ago and met again here," answered Wayo. "Phi Beam and her friends are staying in room 770." 

"Oh, what a coincidence. My name is Aileen, the owner of this hotel and Wayo's older cousin," said Aileen as she stretched out her hand. 

Beam shook Aileen's hand while bowing slightly. "Hello, Phi, my name is Beam." 

"Ah, Nong, because you are Wayo's friend, I will give you a 50 percent discount on your room fee. You can stay comfortably here," said Aileen, patting Beam's shoulder gently. She then kissed Wayo's right cheek cheerfully. "Nong, I have to go now. Have fun. Bye, Nong Beam." 

Aileen walked out of the hotel in a hurry while waving. 

"Huh, she's always busy," muttered Wayo. 

"Nong Wayo, do you want to come by my room? Kit is still jet lagged, so Phana decided to have dinner in the room. Would you like to join?" Beam asked. 

Wayo shook his head. "No, thank you, Phi, but I also have a sick person in the room. He's been throwing up since we arrived and is now sleeping like the dead. I need to check on him." 

"Oh? Is it serious?" Beam asked worriedly. "My friends and I are third year medical students at Metronomia Gold university. We can help check your friend's condition, if you want." 

Wayo's eyes widened. "You're a medical student at Metronomia Gold? Hey, Phi, I'm studying there too, the second year faculty of natural sciences." 

"Ah, you're my underclassman," said Beam happily. "Come on, I'll try to check on your friend. I brought a complete set of medicines." 

Wayo was very happy and he followed Beam to the room to get a box of emergency examination equipment and medical supplies. 

Phana was stunned when Beam opened the door and entered with Wayo.

"Nong Wayo?" said Phana confused.  "How did you get here?" 

Wayo's face turned red. "H-hi, Phi Phana. I-I'm visiting my older cousin." 

"He owns this hotel and thanks to Nong Wayo, we got a 50 percent discount, Pha," said Beam cheerfully. 

Kit had just finished showering and was approaching. He looked at Wayo with raised eyebrows. "Oi, you're so cute. Hey, Beam, whose child did you kidnap?" Kit asked while glaring at Beam. 

"Ish, Kit, I think you should jetlag longer, so you don't get fussy," said Beam. He took his equipment box and grabbed Phana's hand. "Come along, Pha, we have a patient." 

The four of them, because Kit didn't want to be left alone, they went up to the eighth floor. The suite that Wayo occupied was very spacious and comfortable. 

Phana and Kit looked in awe at their surroundings, while Beam was more busy paying attention to Wayo, who had been stealing glances at Phana with a blushing face. 

"Nong, where is your friend? Phana is the best student in our year, so let him check on your friend," said Beam. 

Wayo opened one of the bedroom doors and invited them in. A man sleeps on a large bed with a blanket pulled up to his chest. 

"That's him, Phi," said Wayo. 

Phana approached the sick man and took a look at him. "I think he has a fever from fatigue and inflammation. Does he have a drug allergy? If not, maybe--"

"Hey, who are you guys?" shouted at someone who suddenly entered the room. 

Wayo turned his head and his face lit up. "Phi!"

***