27. Complicated Situation

"Why haven't you met Elena yet? Her parents keep asking me about your engagement plans and I don't know anything at all. You haven't given me any news at all!"

Beam took the phone away from his ear, because his mother's voice was very sharp and loud.  He felt Forth's hand touch his shoulder and turned his head, seeing Forth smiling gently, then leaned in to kiss his forehead gently.

They were sitting in the car, on the side of a quiet road, after Beam got a phone call from his mother.

Forth took the phone from Bram's hand.  "Hello, Mrs. Vongviphan, I am Forth Jaturapoom Jamorhnoom," said Forth politely.

Silence.  Then Moira Vongviphan's voice was heard, which contained confusion.  "Who are you? Where is Beam?"

"Beam is next to me, Mrs. Vongviphan, I just wanted to greet you and let you know that--"

"ARE YOU KIDNAPPING MY SON? OH GOD, BEAM, BEAM, ARE YOU OKAY? OH GOD, LET GO OF MY SON!"

Beam cupped his face with both hands and sighed, while Forth took the phone away from his ear because of the sound of Moira's screams.

"Mrs. Vongviphan, I am not a kidnapper and Bram is fine. I am Beam's boyfriend and I--"

"WHAT DID YOU SAY? BEAM'S BOYFRIEND? ARE YOU CRAZY? BEAM! WHERE IS BEAM? WHAT THE FUCK?"

Beam took the phone from Forth's hand and hung up quickly.

"Phi, this is a mess," said Beam irritably.  "I have to contact Elena immediately."

Forth let Beam call Elena.

"Elena, where are you?"  Beam asked as soon as Elena received the call.  "This is a dire situation!"

"Who are you? Why are you calling my lover?"  A man's voice was heard responding to Beam's words.

Beam was very surprised and turned to Forth, who motioned for him to continue talking.

"Err... My name is Beam Vongviphan. Elena and I were matched by our parents, but Elena and I also don't agree with the match and we intend to end it," answered Beam hastily.

"I know who you are," said the man on the phone.  "Elena once mentioned the arranged marriage to me. Weren't you supposed to meet Elena on the beach in Malibu last vacation?"

"Yes, Phi. Elena also mentioned you and she said she was waiting for you to transfer your duties to headquarters. You are a pilot, right?"  Beam asked.

Forth's eyebrows rose.

"Yes. Right now I'm trying to make things stable so I can immediately propose to Elena. I've also told my parents and siblings about Elena. What about you?"

"I have a boyfriend and my mother... I'm afraid she won't accept him, because he's... A man."

Silence.  "Is your mother... A homophobe?"

"I don't know. But she was quite surprised and panicked when my boyfriend said that he was my boyfriend."

There was a gurgling sound and soon a woman's voice came on the phone.

"Phi Beam, what happened?"

"Elena, is that you?"  Beam asked quickly.  "My mom asked about us and meeting in Malibu."

"Arrghhh, this must be my parents' doing. I heard that they have received a summons for a divorce hearing from the court at the beginning of next month," said Elena irritably.

"What should we do, Elena? My mother also just found out about my boyfriend and she sounded panicked," said Bram.

"Phi Beam, do you have a boyfriend? You said you don't want to get married and will only focus on your career?"  Elana asked in surprise.