Chapter 32

"when the night was full of terror, and your eyes were filled with tears" ~ the night we met by lord huron

Smoke filled Ominis's lungs. He struggled to hear the others over the roar of the fire that now surrounded them. He could hear spells being cast and words shouted in the distance, but he was too focused on something else.

Anne lay in his arms, her hands covering his over the gash across her stomach. Too much was happening around them for him to be able to focus to heal her. It was never his strong suit anyway.

"Go, go help Sebastian, please," Anne wheezed out in a pain filled whisper.

"I'm not leaving your side. Sebastian is fine he can handle himself." He could feel how shallow her breaths were, and he was trying not to show his panic.

"Just hold on my love, you're going to be okay."He felt a delicate hand on his cheek. Her thumb ran along his creased brow.

"You always were never good at keeping your emotions off your face." He felt her hand drop back down.

"Anne, darling, come on stay awake with me." He felt a shaky breathe escape her, at the same time he heard hurried footsteps approaching them. He went to reach for his wand, but the voice reached his ears first.

"Ominis, let me help!" He relaxed his wand, recognizing Odette's voice. He didn't know her well still, but he knew she had more training in healing then he did.

"Please," he begged. "The worst is on her stomach." He felt Odettes hands come on top of his.

"Here, keep holding that pressure while I help close the wound. Keep talking to her make sure she stays awake." Ominis nodded his head, unsure of if Odette saw the gesture. He lowered his forehead to Anne's.

"My love, it's alright we have help. I need you to stay awake for just a bit longer alright?"

She whispered something Ominis was not able to hear over the fire. He leaned his ear to her lips.

"Sebastian..." she let out in the faintest of breathes. "He's alone."

"He's okay, he's holding his own don't worry about him right now..."

Ominis's words were cut off by a pain filled scream. He knew the source of the screams too well to doubt what was causing them. He looked towards Odette.

"I've stopped the bleeding, she should be stable for now. I'm going back to help him."

Ominis didn't get a chance to respond before her footsteps were retreating from him again. Anne's breathing was still shallow, but sounded more relaxed than before.

The screams got louder as the roar of the fire died down. The others must be trying to put it out. The next words he heard spoken made his blood run cold.

"Avada kedavra!"

Before she finished the first word of the curse, Ominis had raised his wand in Rosalind's direction.

"Depulso!"

He heard a body nearby hit what sounded like a tree.

But he heard a second body hit the ground.

He was too late.

She had killed Sebastian.

He could feel the tears escaping from his eyes. He leaned a now asleep Anne on the tree he was against, and ran over. As he got closer, he realized he recognized the heartbeat in front of him.

"Sebastian??"

Ominis grabbed him, pulling him tight to him. He thought he was too late. He hadn't been hit.