Chapter 1: The Actor: Johnny Cage

(Celebrating my 20th birthday today. Hope you enjoy Chapter 1)

Previously:
"Yes. Pray to the worms, Raiden. As your world ends..." Shao Kahn says.

He then raises his hammer to smash Raiden into the ground, but before he can, Raiden finishes the prayer with the following words.

"He must win!" Raiden says as his eyes suddenly flash from red to blue and lightning sparkles from them.

Just as Shao Kahn's hammer smashes into his skull, visions of Raiden's past flash into existence.

The visions pan out into the eyes of past Raiden. He then gasps and clutches his head. Manado Chujin, a now 32 year old man who recently became Raiden's new champion, walks up to him.

"Lord Raiden! What is wrong?" Manado asks in concern.

"Strange visions..." Raiden says.

A crackling of magic emanates is then heard from his amulet. He then holds it in his hand and finds out it has cracked in several places. Liu Kang takes notice of this.

"Your amulet!" Liu Kang says.

"It is nothing, Liu Kang. The tournament begins." Raiden assures as he placed the amulet back onto his chest.

The three of them turn to witness a procession of monks walking towards them. Johnny Cage watches alongside Sonya Blade to the left of them. Sub-Zero (Bi-Han) is slightly behind them with Cyrax and Sektor flanking him.

At the grandmaster's throne, the elderly Shang-Tsung walks out, with Kitana and Jade on his right and Baraka enters as well to the left of them. Nightwolf, who is on Raiden's left side, watches cautiously, while Quan Chi and Scorpion, who are to the left of Johnny Cage and Sonya, watch them impassively. The monks finish their walk and sit down before Shang Tsung.

"Kombatants. I am Shang Tsung! In the coming days each of you will fight. Some are here of their own volition, others were brought here by chance..." Shang Tsung announces.

As Shang Tsung continues talking, Johnny Cage looks to his right at Sonya.

"Hey, beautiful. Johnny Cage." Johnny introduces himself.

"Good for you." Sonya says coldly.

"What? "Massive Strike", "Citizen Cage", "Ninja Mime"? None of those ring a bell?" Johnny asks.

Sonya looks over to see Kano walking out into the arena.

"Kano..." Sonya says to herself.

"Kano"? Wasn't in that one..." Johnny says before looking back up to the sorcerer.

"You participate in the most important Mortal Kombat in history! This tournament, the tenth after nine l Outworld victories, will determine Earthrealm's fate. If you defeat all of your opponents, you will face one final challenge... me." Shang Tsung finishes.

"Huh! That old geezer's the final challenge? They might as well give me the belt right now. They do have belts, right?" Johnny wonders.

Someone then coughs behind Johnny Cage. He turns around to see Shang Tsung standing beside him.

"What? How did you–" Johnny asks before being cut off.

"Appearances can be deceiving." Shang Tsung says to Johnny.

"Our first kombatant will be Mr. Cage!" Shang Tsung announces as he levitates back toward his throne.

Johnny laughs defiantly and strides forward.