Chapter 1: The Fighting Star: Johnny Cage

An Earthrealm city in Japan is currently being devastated by war. A dead soldier falls on his front, an ugly gaping hole where his face should be. Others run past his body, and suddenly a large flying beast that resembles a gargoyle grabs one of these soldiers, lifts him into the air and drops him. Another soldier is tackled into the concrete by a demon moving almost too fast to see. Several other soldiers meet the same fate.

One soldier pauses long enough to open fire at the flying beasts with his assault rifle. He gains nothing for his efforts except the ire of one beast who lands on a nearby overturned car. As he turns to it, the hellbeast lets out an unholy roar of terror and grabs the now-screaming soldier by his head, tearing it off his body. As the beast drops his head from it's toes and roams the evening sky, it is shot by high-powered bullets from a helicopter's gatling gun. The monster squeals and falls dead to the ground below as several helicopters fly forwards.

Inside the helicopter, Sonya Blade is co-piloting. The movie star Johnny Cage walks up to her seat and leans on both it and the seat of the pilot's, staring into the world beyond the windscreen.

"Destination dead ahead." The pilot informs.

"Set 'er down nice and easy for me." Johnny asks.

"Don't I always?" The pilot asks.

"If by "always" you mean "not once"." Johnny jokes.

They both share a chuckle at this comment. Johnny then looks over to Sonya.

"Major?" Johnny asks.

Sonya looks at him, then rises from her seat. She strides to the back of the helicopter where six other soldiers are taking their seats. Also among them is the blind swordsman known only as Kenshi, who remains standing. Johnny looks on in admiration as Sonya walks up to her men. She turns round and flashes him a smile, and he walks up to join them.

"Alright, you have the rendezvous coordinates. Far edge of the forest. From there, we access the portal to Raiden's sky temple." Sonya explains.

"Where there's an angry former Elder God and his devils waiting for us." Johnny finishes.

One soldier seated among them doesn't appear to quite believe what he's hearing (or what's happening around him).

"Gods, portals, flying demons..." The soldier says.

"Blind guys with magic swords..." Johnny says, looking at Kenshi.

Kenshi then turns in his direction at this.

"The world has changed. For the worse if we do not expel Shinnok from Raiden's temple. He means to poison Earthrealm's life force - the Jinsei." Kenshi explains.

"And we're not gonna let that happen." Sonya says.

"Kenshi and I appreciate the Major allowing us to join you. We're happy to help kick Shinnok's bony ass back to the Netherrealm." Johnny says.

Then the muffled sound of explosions outside of the helicopter gets everyone's attention.

Johnny, Sonya and Kenshi race back to the front of the chopper in time to witness one of the helicopters in front of theirs catch fire. Sonya quickly takes the co-pilot seat again. As a fireball races to the left of their chopper, the helicopter on fire crashes into the ground, utterly destroying it. Another fireball explodes on the side of another chopper in front of them.

"You gotta land this thing!" Johnny yells at the pilot.

"I'm trying." The pilot says.

As the second chopper on fire crashes and explodes, the windshield suddenly shatters as a kunai attached to a chain bursts through and impales itself in the face of the pilot.