Chapter 1: Next of Kin: Cassie Cage

In an open hangar at the special forces base in Earthrealm, a squadron of forty soldiers stand at ease. At the front of the ranks are Cassie Cage and Jacqui Briggs. Cassie's father Johnny is in front of the squad, casually leaning against some crates.

The soldiers all snap to attention and salute as a lone figure enters the hangar. Johnny stands up and takes off his sunglasses, smiling as General Sonya Blade walks up to the squad. She stops in front of Cassie and returns the salute.

"As you were." Sonya says.

In perfect synchronization, the squadron all stand at ease.

"For twenty-five years, the Special Forces have been Earthrealm's sword and shield. We've pushed back Shao Kahn, defeated Shinnok. Yet none of our victories have come without cost." Sonya announces.

A flicker of sadness passes across Jacqui's face.

"Recently, Commander Jackson Briggs was honourably discharged. His wounds - both physical and psychological, left him no longer fit to serve." Sonya informs.

Jacqui continues to look downcast. Sonya looks in her direction.

"We honour Jacqui's father, and we honour his sacrifice by doing what he would do; tirelessly defend Earthrealm." Sonya says.

After a pause, she looks over to Cassie.

"Sergeant Cage, step forward." Sonya orders.

Cassie does so.

"Your leadership and war-fighting ability have earned you promotion to Commander." Sonya informs.

Cassie beams with delight.

"But there are no family favors here. By Special Forces tradition, you still have to pass one last test." Sonya says.

"I need to kick the CO's ass, ma'am. Your ass, ma'am." Cassie says.

"Alright then, Sergeant, let's see if you can take me." Sonya says.

They then fight. Even in her advanced age, Sonya remains a formidable opponent, with years of experience in close quarter kombat and the weaponry to match. But Cassie proves that she is more than up to the challenge and takes the fight to her mother. It's not long before Sonya is knocked down to the ground. With the fight over, Cassie salutes over General Blade.

"Commander Cage, reporting for duty." Cassie says.

Cassie helps her mother back to her feet. Johnny walks over as Sonya returns the salute.

"Congratulations, Commander." Sonya says.

She steps aside as Johnny throws his arms around his daughter in a loving embrace, returned eagerly by Cassie. Later, outside of the hanger, a couple of soldiers are putting suppliers into a nearby helicopter.

"C'mon Dad, you really have to go?" Cassie asks.

"Well, you've got your duty, Commander, I got mine." Johnny says.

Sonya smiles, putting a hand on Johnny's shoulder.

"Starring in another Ninja Mine sequel isn't what I'd call duty." Sonya says.

He takes her other hand lovingly.

"I need to provide for you in the manner to which you've become accustomed." Johnny says as they draw close and start kissing.

"Geez, guys, I'm right here." Cassie says.

Cassie's words fall on deaf ears, but a moment later a crash of thunder, on a hot summer's day, no less, grabs all of their attention. Raiden teleports in front of them and strides forward.