Chapter 10: A friend in Need: Jade

In the Armoury, Baraka and another Tarkatan are inspecting a crate of shotguns.

"That is all of them." Baraka says.

Baraka then puts his shotgun in the crate. The other Tarkatan, fiddling with a shotgun of his own, points the barrel directly in Baraka's face. Angrily, Baraka swipes the gun from him.

"That is no toy! It belongs to Shang Tsung! We are finished. Return to your post." Baraka orders.

The Tarkatan then walks off. Baraka places the shotgun in the crate and turns to spot Jade walking toward him.

"Stand aside. I will see Kitana." Jade orders.

"No one enters the Tower." Baraka says.

"You are an excellent guard dog, Baraka. But you must learn to heel." Jade says.

"I do not take orders from you." Baraka says.

They then fight. While a vicious fighter, Baraka is unprepared to deal with Jade's agility and her reach with her staff and boomerangs. After an intense battle, Jade soon has the Tarkatan down on the ground.

"Good boy." Jade mocks.

Baraka groans as Jade walks over to him.

"Edenians have no loyalty." Baraka says.

"Blind loyalty is not a good thing, as I have learned. You must keep your eyes open-- to anticipate the finishing blow." Jade says.

"What are you talki–" Baraka says before Jade then interrupts him by stamping on his face, knocking him out.

"You make it too easy." Jade says

She then walks off. In the Tower, Kitana is magically bound to a statue with Sheeva standing over her as her jailer.

"If you had not dishonoured yourself by–" Sheeva says before being cut off.

"Jade!" Kitana calls out.

Sheeva turns to face the newcomer.

"My orders are clear. No one is allowed in the Tower." Sheeva says.

"As you can see, I am here." Jade says.

"Here to help the princess escape! You would deny her execution? The only means of regaining her honour?" Sheeva asks.

"We have very different concepts of honour, Shokan." Jade replies.

They then start their fight. Much like Baraka before her, Sheeva has quite the difficulty fighting someone with as much agility and reach as Jade does, even with two extra arms to help her. The battle soon ends with Sheeva unconscious.

"Not much of a jailor, are you?" Jade asks, knowing she isn't going to get an answer.

She then turns towards Kitana.

"Now then, Your Highness, let us see how quickly we can remove these bonds." Jade says, trying to free Kitana.

"Jade, I..." Kitana says.

"I am too." Jade says.

Before she can continue, she hears a sound from behind the door to the Tower.

"Stop her!" Baraka orders

"Do not let her get away!" Mileena yells.

"Go. Find Raiden. Ask for his help." Kitana asks.

With no choice, Jade does as Kitana asks. Later, Jade has just finished running from several unseen assailants and ended up in the wastelands.

"That should distance me from any pursuers." Jade says.

Mileena (now clothed in her purple attire) then teleports in front of her. Jade turns to face her.

"Others pursue. I find." Mileena says.

"By the gods... You are Mileena!" Jade realizes.

"You must return with me! There is to be a celebration for my sister! She is going away..." Mileena says in a creepy manner.

They then fight. While Mileena is an adversary just as quick and fierce as Jade, she lacks the fighting experience of the Edenian warrior. After an intense battle, Jade manages to beat Mileena unconscious.

"I am more of a sister to Kitana than you. I must find Raiden." Jade says.

"He is here." Raiden's voice says before he teleports into the wastelands with Manado, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Johnny Cage and Smoke.

Upon spotting Mileena's body, Smoke immediately jumps to the wrong conclusion.

"Kitana turns away from Shao Kahn so you attack her rather than join her?" Smoke asks.

Jade holds up a hand in mercy.

"This is not–" Jade tries to say.

Raiden holds back Liu Kang and the others.

"Smoke, stop! That is not Kitana!" Raiden calls out.

"You will come no closer!" Smoke orders.

Jade and Smoke then start to fight. Although she doesn't want to battle, Jade has no problem defending herself against an unwarranted attack. After a brief melee, Smoke is down on the ground.

"I did not wish to do that." Jade says.

Raiden approaches Jade and as Smoke picks himself up.

"Lord Raiden. I come at the request of–" Jade says.

While they're speaking, Johnny turns to Liu Kang and Kung Lao.

""Lord"? I was with Smoke. I thought she was a bad guy-- eh, girl. And I thought that guy was a threat. Guess he turned another two people. What's Raiden got that I haven't got?

"God-like power?" Liu Kang says.

"Humility?" Manado says.

"A personality that is not at all like sanding paper?" Kung Lao says.

"Jerks." Johnny replies in an annoyed manner.

"...if we do not save her, she will be executed. Kitana does not have much time!" Jade finishes explaining.

At the mention of Kitana, the guys walk forward to join the conversation.

"Kitana... executed? Where is she?" Manado asks.

"Held captive in the Tower of Shao Kahn's fortress." Jade replies.

"I wil–" Manado says before being cut off.

"I am not pleased with this outcome either, Manado. But there is no time. We must return to the tournament." Raiden informs.

"But you are responsible for her capture! You persuaded her to turn against Shao Kahn!" Manado snaps.

"Lord Raiden, we can free her as others fight in our stead, and join you thereafter." Liu Kang suggests.

"Very well." Raiden replies.

Manado, Liu Kang and Kung Lao look towards each other and nod, and as Kung Lao walks off, Liu Kang only pauses to give Raiden a brief look of contempt before joining him with Manado beside him.

"We will meet you at the Coliseum." Kung Lao calls out.