Chapter 12: Blood Mage: Skarlet

In Shao Kahn's throne room, Shao Kahn can be seen with Quan Chi, who has reunited him with Sindel.

"It would seem you have proved yourself, Quan Chi." Shao Kahn says.

"It is as I said, I wish only to serve, emperor." Quan Chi says.

"And now I will finally invade Earthrealm and claim what is rightfully mine." Shao Kahn says.

"Indeed you will, my husband. Now, we must prepare the army." Sindel suggests.

"Of course, wife." Shao Kahn says.

Skarlet, one of Shao Kahn's minions then enters the throne room. Shao Kahn takes notice.

"You arrive not a moment too soon, Skarlet." Shao Kahn says.

"How may I serve you, your excellency?" Skarlet asks.

"Prepare the legions, you will leave for Earthrealm to invade within the hour." Shao Kahn orders.

Skarlet looks surprised to hear this.

"Invade? Isn't that against the rules of Mortal Kombat?" Skarlet asks, not liking this idea.

Shao Kahn then growls in annoyance.

"Those rules left me in shackles! I will not be bound to them any longer. Earthrealm will be mine." Shao Kahn says.

"You do this, the elder gods will destroy you." Skarlet points out.

"The elder gods are nothing but ineffectual deities who just sit around and let those Earthrealmers do their work for them! They hold no power over me any longer!" Shao Kahn yells.

Skarlet stays silent as she hangs her head down. Shao Kahn then approaches her and gets close to her face.

"Know your place, blood mage." Shao Kahn says.

Skarlet nods her head in response as she then walks out of the throne room, deep in thought.

Later, Skarlet finds herself in the armory, looking through the army's preparations, such as the tarkatans readying their newly given firearms, courtesy of Kano and Shokan sharpening their weapons. As all this occurred, Skarlet's mind was still lingering on what occurred in the throne room earlier. She has never been in this situation before. She has always been loyal to a fault to Shao Kahn ever since he rose her up from homelessness and taught her blood magic. But now, it's seems her loyalty is beginning to waver, seeing that Shao Kahn is willing to break the rules of Mortal Kombat. It just made her blood boil. Her uneasiness doesn't go unnoticed as Baraka approaches her.

"What is it that troubles you, Skarlet?" Baraka asks.

Skarlet sighs as she looks towards the tarkatan.

"All this just sit right with me. Invading Earthrealm with victory in Mortal Kombat? It... it's just asking for trouble." Skarlet explains.

"It is the emperor's will." Baraka points out.

"You think I don't know that? All this will just end with  him getting killed by the elder gods."

"You dare insult the emperor?" Baraka asks, glaring at the blood mage.

"I should have seen what he was truly capable of. I won't be a part of this." Skarlet says.

She then turns to walk out of the armory. With a command, Baraka orders a group the tarkatans to block her path. Skarlet turns back towards Baraka, who has unsheathed his arm blades.

"You will not just walk away." Baraka says.

Skarlet then readies her dagger.

"Then you leave me no choice." Skarlet replies.