Chapter 15: Cyberized: Cyber Sub Zero

Later, Smoke and Jax are attempting to reprogram Sub Zero. What Cyber Sub Zero could see is black which stays like that for a moment, and all that can he can hear is the background noise of diagnostics. Then the word "_INITIALIZING" pops up on his screen.

"That's it. Here goes nothing..." Jax says.

Sub Zero's mainframe then begins rebooting, all of which he sees from his point-of-view.

"You are certain this will work?" Smoke asks.

"Hell no! I've never done this before. It's not like there's a manual." Jax replies.

Sub Zero's screen is then suddenly lit up in red. The word "OVERRIDE" shows up in enlarged text. It successfully engages, and Sub Zero tries connecting to a wireless uplink. The connection fails and an error pops up, noting his command and control module is missing. With that, his slaving protocols are disengaged and his autonomous command module is engaged, restoring his higher brain function. Smoke looks directly into his eyes at this point.

"Sub Zero?" Smoke asks Sub Zero.

He then turns toward Jax. "Can he hear me?" Smoke asks.

"He should." Jax says.

Sub Zero then locks onto Smoke's eye and does a retinal identification.

"Sub Zero?" Smoke asks.

The scan provides Sub Zero with information about Smoke, including his age, country of origin, his allegiance and special ability.

"Yes, Smoke." Cyber Sub Zero answers.

"How do you feel?" Smoke asks.

It is now clear that the heroes are currently in some kind of temple. Cyber Sub Zero then sits up on the slab he's been placed on. He grunts in displeasure.

"What is it?" Smoke asks.

"I remember... The things I have done for Shao Kahn..." Cyber Sub Zero replies.

Smoke then places a hand on his friend's shoulder.

"He cannot be allowed to merge the realms." Cyber Sub Zero says.

Nightwolf then turns to Raiden.

"Haokah, how can Sub Zero best help us?" Nightwolf asks.

"I do not know. My attempts to alter future events have had negative consequences. Sub Zero should never have undergone this transformation. Enlisting him may only further divert the flow of time." Raiden says.

"We need intel, right? Let's send him back to Outworld undercover." Stryker suggests.

"They will be unaware of my defection. I could deceive them." Cyber Sub Zero says.

Raiden considers this in silence.

Later in Shao Kahn's throne room. Sektor and Cyrax are conversing with Noob Saibot, while several Tarkatan minions await orders. A portal has been opened and Cyber Sub Zero walks through it.

"Earthrealm is finished. It will not be missed." Noob Saibot says.

"Very well. You will return." Sektor says.

Noob and Cyrax then walk off into the portal, with the minions following. Sektor then turns to Sub Zero.

"You report late. Where is the intruder?" Sektor asks, seeing that Kabal is nowhere to be seen.

"I killed him in Earthrealm." Cyber Sub Zero replies.

"He should have been saved for interrogation." Sektor says.