Chapter 16: The Forces of Light: Nightwolf

Quan Chi finishes chanting the spell and the soldiers are absorbed in the newly created Soulnado, which reaches into the heavens. Nightwolf arrives at that moment and addresses Sub Zero.

"Go! Your soul is not safe!" Nightwolf warns.

Sub Zero takes the advice and hurries off.

"Earthrealm's fate is sealed, Nightwolf!" Quan Chi announces.

"Not yet! We fight until the end!" Nightwolf replies.

They then fight. Nightwolf's protection from Quan Chi's magic and his own mystical powers give him equal footing in the battle with the Netherrealm sorcerer, and his fighting ability gives him the edge needed to defeat him. After an intense fight, Nightwolf beats Quan Chi to the ground.

"Your time is over." Nightwolf says.

Before Nightwolf can finish Quan Chi, Noob Saibot recovers and rushes him. Nightwolf blocks and avoids his attacks before striking with a right cross to Noob's face. Noob fights back, only to get a backfist blocked and takes a left hook to the kidney. Nightwolf goes on the offensive, but Noob counters a downward punch, twists Nightwolf's arm and strikes him in the chest with an open palm. Nightwolf growls in anger and charges in, lands a solid punch across Noob's face and kicks him into the Soulnado.

Noob Saibot is then sucked up into the Soulnado, infecting it with his wraith-like powers. As he is pulled into the heavens, the Soulnado turns from glowing green to purple. Quan Chi pulls himself to his feet, and realising the battle is lost, immediately opens a portal and escapes. Nightwolf generates a mystical shield to protect himself as the Soulnado gathers itself into a giant portal and explodes outward. Nightwolf is thrown from his feet as the shockwave travels across the cemetery, destroying everything in the immediate radius. Nightwolf, however, is unharmed and sits up.

"Pilamaya. ("Thank you" in Matokan.)" Nightwolf says.

Back at the temple, the Forces of Light are in the midst of a discussion.

"But how do we know? Raiden could be having visions of possible futures, not the future." Sonya suggests.

"Sonya's right. Was I supposed to have my arms replaced with these? Or was it caused by interfering with the timeline?" Jax asks, looking at the new cybernetic arms he was given.

"My head hurts just thinking about it." Johnny Cage says.

"You and me both, Johnny." Manado says.

"This isn't helpful. We cannot second guess our decisions. Raiden, what are your thoughts?" Kitana asks but Raiden is unresponsive.

"Raiden?" Kitana asks again.

He then suddenly reacts.

"Yes, that is best." Raiden says.

"What is our next objective?" Cyber Sub Zero asks.

"Nightwolf!" Liu Kang calls out.

The Forces of Light turn to see Nightwolf approach them.

"It is done. Earthrealm's souls are safe." Nightwolf informs.

The forces of light are relieved by this information. Raiden then looks at his amulet. More cracks appear on it.

"No! How is it not enough?!" Raiden asks in anger.

He then slams a palm down on the slab in front of him, startling everyone.

"I must speak with the Elder Gods. Shao Kahn's violation must be punished." Raiden says.

"But the battle is joined here, in Earthrealm!" Liu Kang says.