Chapter 13: Cutting the Strings: Raiden

Raiden can be seen after his battle with Scorpion. Although not unconscious, he has been pushed down to his knee.

"Spout your falsehoods elsewhere, Scorpion! Kronika will not entrap us." Raiden snaps as he stands back to his feet.

"It is no trap! Kharon awaits you in the Netherrealm." Scorpion says.

Liu Kang then runs to Raiden's side.

"Lord Raiden! We should listen. He may be telling the truth!" Younger Liu Kang says.

Raiden then takes something from his belt.

"There is only one way to find out." Raiden says.

A charging sound is then heard, and Scorpion is blasted backwards by a bolt of energy. It is seen now that Raiden has used Shinnok's amulet. The ninja remains on the ground, writhing in agony.

"Now, Scorpion. The truth!" Raiden demands.

Liu Kang, clearly disturbed at what he's just seen, steps in between Raiden and Scorpion.

"Raiden, stop this!" Younger Liu Kang yells.

Raiden shoves him aside.

"Step aside, Liu Kang!" Raiden says.

"Put down the amulet! Its darkness is taking hold of you!" Younger Liu Kang suggests.

In response, Raiden blasts Liu Kang with a burst of energy, knocking him to the ground.

"Our time has run out. I do what I must to save Earthrealm." Raiden snaps.

Manado then grabs Raiden's shoulder to stop him.

"Raiden, that's enough!" Manado yells.

In response, Raiden blasts Manado with a burst of energy from the amulet, sending him flying backwards. Manado lands right next to Scorpion as he then writhes in pain like Scorpion is.

Raiden then notices Liu Kang trying to rise to his feet. As Liu Kang rises, Raiden charges up his hands with lightning and strikes the ground near the Shaolin's feet.

"Stay down!" Raiden orders.

Liu Kang doesn't comply and rises anyway.

"This is not the way. Scorpion is not the enemy this time." Younger Liu Kang says.

"Liu Kang, do not interfere!" Raiden warns.

They then fight. Even though both of them are holding back, the battle is an even match, with Liu Kang's martial arts skill quite possibly surpassing even Raiden's. But the Thunder God's immortality means that he will always hold the advantage, and Raiden eventually manages to knock Liu Kang to the floor.

"Do not force my hand, Liu Kang. The realms hang in the balance! To defend them, I must command order!" Raiden snaps.

Liu Kang stands back to his feet, disbelief evident in his eyes.

"I thought it impossible, but the revenants were right." Younger Liu Kang realizes before pointing his finger at Raiden.

"You cannot be trusted!" Younger Liu Kang snaps.

"I do not need trust! I demand obedience!" Raiden yells.

On the word "obedience", Raiden charges his hands with lightning. But this time the lightning flashes red, and his eyes also turn from blue to red.

"Enough of your madness. If you must die... so be it." Younger Liu Kang says.

On hearing those words, Raiden steps backward, uncertainty gripping him. His eyes fade from red back to blue.