Chapter 4: Lin Kuei: Sub Zero

At the Lin Kuei temple. Two members of the clan, outfitted in blue light armour complete with a sword on the back, rush up a gigantic staircase. Sitting on the throne on top of the staircase is Grandmaster Kuai Liang, better known as Sub Zero, now fully restored to life. His whitened eyes take in the two Lin Kuei, who put their hands together and bow their heads before him in respect.

"The forward defenses stand down as you command, Grandmaster." Lin Kuei #1 says.

"It is confirmed. Five intruders." Lin Kuei #2 informs.

The Grandmaster smiles in response.

"It is time to entertain our guests." Sub Zero says.

Outside of the Lin Kuei temple, there is the giant statue of the first Lin Kuei Grandmaster that is in front of the temple's entrance. In the midst of the light snow falling down, Team S.F. have all reached the rendezvous point and wait to the side of the entrance staircase.

"All right, I've got point." Cassie says before looking towards Takeda. "You and Jin, that side." Cassie says.

Both of them exchange a glance. Takeda's face is unreadable, but Kung Jin clearly doesn't agree with the command.

"Move!" Cassie orders.

Both of them obey and slip over to the other side of the staircase.

"Ready?" Cassie asks Jacqui and Zaveer.

Jacqui nods her consent.

"Let's do this." Zaveer says.

Just as Cassie turns to the entrance, the temple doors open up. She hastily backs up as Sub Zero and four Lin Kuei students exit the temple, walking down to the grounds just before them. They stop before the statue of the First Grandmaster and kneel in meditation.

Kung Jin motions with his head to move in. Cassie mouths "Not yet" to him in response. After a moment, Kung Jin chooses to ignore the command and stomps out of his hiding place.

"Dammit, Jin!" Cassie whispers to herself, very irritated.

All three of them then quickly follow as Kung Jin points to Sub Zero.

"You. I need to s–" Kung Jin says before Cassie lightly hits him on the back, grabbing his attention.

Sub Zero then speaks to them without ever lifting his head from his meditation.

"You are not welcome here. State your intentions." Sub Zero demands.

Kung Jin decides to let Cassie do the talking, and she steps forward.

"Grandmaster. We need you to come with us. My name is Sergeant–" Cassie says before the Lin Kuei that is with Sub Zero, barks out a command in Chinese.

Reinforcements then flood in from seemingly nowhere, surrounding Team S-F and outnumbering them about 5 to 1. Sub Zero then stands up from his meditation.

"You demand my cooperation. Yet you are cut off. Surrounded. What will you do?" Sub Zero asks.

"My father always spoke highly of you, Sub Zero. He wants to talk." Cassie says.

"Talking. Always his first choice." Sub Zero says.

"Okay, let's try pummeling. Now!" Kung Jin yells.

"Wait!" Cassie calls out but it's far too late for waiting.

Kung Jin charges into a line of Lin Kuei as Sub Zero rushes in and takes a swing at Cassie. As Takeda, Zaveer and Jacqui begin fighting as well, Cassie barely ducks out of the way in time and only just gets an arm up to block a left swing. Sub Zero knees her in the side and blocks two kicks from her in response. He steps back from a wild right swing and headbutts Cassie, before throwing her to the ground. She then comes up in a roll and pulls out her sidearm, but Sub Zero freezes it with a quick ice ball, rendering it useless.