Chapter 12: A God's Regret: Raiden

At the Sky Temple. An old warrior, recognisable as the native Outworlder Bo'Rai Cho, is sitting on a bench outside of the main temple doors. While he's waiting, he opens a hip flask and drinks from it. A few moments later, Raiden teleports next to the doors.

"Raiden! Raiden, my old friend!" Bo'Rai Cho greets.

He then walks up to Raiden and shakes his hand.

"Master Bo'Rai Cho. I am pleased to see you. It has been many years." Raiden greets.

"Too long, yes, too long. We old warriors need to stick together, eh?" Bo'Rai Cho asks.

"Most certainly. I presume recent circumstances precipitate your arrival?" Raiden asks.

"Yes, yes. I'm concerned that Shinnok may return. I've been trying to contact you. I feared the worst." Bo'Rai Cho says.

They then walk into the temple.

"When Kano misappropriated Shinnok's Amulet, he left behind a snare. Disabling it required that I travel to many strange realms. I must retire to the Jinsei Chamber. Regain my strength." Raiden explains.

Later, Raiden and Bo'Rai Cho are walking in the underground tunnels leading to the Jinsei Chamber.

"You are close to recovering it, then? Shinnok's Amulet?" Bo'Rai Chi asks.

"I do not know. Disabling Kano's snare demanded my full attention. Once I am rejuvenated, I will confer with General Blade." Raiden explains.

"If only we could have destroyed Shinnok during the last war. If only he were mortal." Bo'Rai Cho says.

They then reach the chamber. Raiden charges his hand with lightning, but does not release. Instead, the chamber doors respond with the Japanese incantation on them lighting up and they open. The two of them take a moment to bask in the cool light of the Jinsei before walking into the chamber.

"Such beauty. Like. gazing upon the Elder Gods themselves." Bo'Rai Cho says.

"I hold out hope that we can turn this crisis to our advantage." Raiden says.

"How so?" Bo'Rai Chi asks.

"Quan Chi's magic binds the souls of many we hold dear. Capture him, and we can force him to release them." Raiden explains.

"Liu Kang and Kung Lao restored? I suppose it is possible." Bo'Rai Cho asks.

"As long as Quan Chi lives." Raiden says.

He then hangs his head down for a moment, before looking up into Bo'Rai Cho's face.

"I've long regretted losing our comrades' souls to Netherrealm's evil. Kung Lao and Liu Kang... they were like sons. I would move the Heavens to bring them back into the light." Raiden explains.

"And your greatest pupil?" Bo'Rai Cho asks.

"Manado yes. Everything he's been through is more then even I could ever imagine. All these years, I raised him as my own. And I could not be any more proud of the warrior he has become." Raiden says.

Twenty five years ago, in Outworld Kove on the docks, Shaolin monks are being loaded onto a waiting ship by Tarkatans. Raiden crouches behind cover with Manado, as well as Kung Lao and Liu Kang, looking obviously more youthful and not undead.

"It is as Master Bo'Rai Cho said. The Shaolin masters are aboard that ship." Kung Lao says.

"Bo'Rai Cho said two ships." Liu Kang thought.

"The other has disembarked. We need to determine its location." Raiden explains.

"They will talk. I will see to it." Kung Lao assures.